The Whippet Chihuahua mix has various remarkable and unique characteristics that you will adore thanks to the Whippet’s spirit and the Chihuahua’s sassiness.
Despite the noticeable differences between Chihuahua and Whippet, you will be amazed to learn that crossbreeding them creates extraordinary results.
If you want to know more about this crossbreed, keep reading. This article will guide you through all the relevant information you need to know about Chi Whippet.
|Height:||8 – 18 inches|
|Weight:||6 – 40 pounds|
|Lifespan:||12 – 16 years|
|Coat Colors:||Fawn, white, brown, chocolate, brindle, black|
|Temperament:||Thoughtful, devoted, gentle, energetic, fast, protective|
|Suitable for:||Families with children; Active owners|
What Is a Whippet Chihuahua Mix?
The Whippet Chihuahua mix, also known as Chi Whippet, is a petite, fun, protective, and full-of-energy dog. This hybrid dog is a cross between a purebred Chihuahua and a purebred Whippet. Whippet Chihuahua mixes are usually small dogs that come in a variety of coat colors and patterns.
The Chihuahua and the Whippet are two well-known dogs in the United States. While they have very few traits in common, these two breeds prove to be excellent partners when it comes to producing adorable offspring.
While the Chi Whippet is less outgoing than its Whippet parent, it is also less stubborn than its Chihuahua parent. A Chi Whippet will probably be cautious around strangers but friendly once it gets to know them.
Most kennel clubs, like the American Kennel Club (AKC), do not recognize the Whippet Chihuahua mix as a genuine breed. Therefore, it is not permitted to participate in the organization’s dog shows and contests.
Whippet Chihuahua Mix Origin and History
Unfortunately, there isn’t much information available about the Chi Whippet’s origin or history. However, you can learn more about the origins of this combination by studying the histories of Chihuahuas and Whippets.
The Whippet dog has an interesting history that begins in the Victorian era. Dog racing and rabbit hunting were popular during this time, even among the general community.
Because of this, coal miners attempted to create a smaller dog — the Whippet dog that we now have — because they could not afford to feed and care for giant racing breeds like the Greyhounds at the time.
Due to its agility and speed, the Whippet dog was once referred to as the “lightning rag dog” and “poor man’s racehorse.” Interestingly, it has a top speed of 35 miles per hour.
On the other hand, there are numerous theories about the ancestry of the Chihuahua breed. Therefore its past is still a mystery today. However, the Chihuahua was officially discovered around the middle of the 19th century.
With its primary origin in Chihuahua, Mexico, this breed first appeared in the late 1800s and quickly spread throughout Central and South America. The American Kennel Club first accepted registration for this breed in 1904.
Depending on the parent with the dominant genes, Chi Whips may act more like Whippets or Chihuahuas. However, they have drastically different appearances and personalities from their parents.
Whippet Chihuahua Mix Appearance
A Whippet Chihuahua mix will have silky fur that is soft to the touch. However, you might also see a Chi Whip with longer fur, depending on whether it has a short-haired or long-haired Chihuahua parent.
Since Chihuahuas and Whippets are both shades of brown, most will be fawn or chocolate brown. As well as having white or black spots, you can also see them in brindle patterns.
You’ll also notice that your Chi Whippet will be similar to both of its parents in build and muscle because they were both bred to be active, fast-moving dogs. They have solid frames and are trim and well-built.
Aside from their prominent jawbones and huge, expressive eyes, they usually have relatively thin lips. Hence, their adorable teeth occasionally show.
Watch this video to get a glimpse of what a Whippet Chihuahua mix might look like.
Whippet Chihuahua Mix Size and Weight
The Whippet Chihuahua mix is a small-sized dog, standing between 8 and 18 inches tall, and weighs around 6 to 40 pounds. This often depends on which parent genes in the puppy are more dominant.
Chihuahuas usually grow up to 9 inches, while Whippets can reach heights up to 22 inches. Expect your Chi Whippet puppy to grow anywhere within that range.
Once it reaches the ages of 12 to 18 months, your Whippet Chihuahua mix puppy will grow to its full adult size. However, other factors, like their diet and general health, might impact their final size.
Although this mixed breed dog may be little, keep in mind that they are pretty active and full of energy. Therefore, it would be ideal for them to play and train in a lovely, big yard.
Whippet Chihuahua Mix Temperament and Personality
Since the Chi Whippet’s parents were both bred for companionship, you can be sure that this crossbreed will make a wonderful family pet. However, you still need to train them properly if you want them to do well.
Because of the false belief that this hybrid dog’s Chihuahua ancestry makes it aggressive, prospective owners may be hesitant to take it home.
Like other dogs, if they are not mentally stimulated or given obedience training, they may exhibit territorial aggression and other behavioral problems.
In addition, the Whippet Chihuahua mix is a bright and tenacious dog. If you have patience, teaching them to follow commands and tricks will come naturally.
As sociable pets, they are vulnerable to developing separation anxiety if regularly left alone. Therefore, anyone looking to get a Chi Whippet should know that these dogs do not enjoy being alone for extended periods.
However, crate training and early socialization are essential for them to develop a well-rounded personality regarding how they behave and can aid in reducing these habits.
Whippet Chihuahua Mix Lifespan and Health Issues
Whippet Chihuahua mixes are capable of being healthy dogs, but only if they are responsibly bred and cared for. Many of them live far longer than the average lifespan of 12 to 16 years.
There is no denying how cute Chi Whippets are. But it’s wise to be aware of any potential health hazards related to this hybrid before buying one and bringing it home.
The Whippet Chihuahua mix can be affected by the following common health conditions:
- Patellar Luxation: Small dogs, particularly Whippet Chihuahua mix breeds, are more susceptible to luxating patellas. The kneecap of your dog may break out of its socket in this condition, which can be extremely painful while leaping or moving around.
- Physical Trauma: Chihuahua Whippet mixes are more susceptible to physical trauma due to their small stature. Injuries could also result from falling from furniture, running into walls and doors, falling down stairs, or being hit by a car.
- Hypoglycemia: Chihuahuas are more likely to develop hypoglycemia than any other toy breed. Also referred to as low blood sugar, hypoglycemia occurs when a dog’s body cannot properly manage its blood sugar, leading it to plummet and eventually impair neurological function.
It is still crucial to take your Chi Whippet to the vet regularly, just as with any other dog breed, to ensure your pooch is healthy and free from any serious illnesses.
Additionally, looking for pet insurance coverage for your dog is a good idea. This will enable you to care for your dog in the event of illness or injury without going over budget.
How to Take Care of Your Chihuahua Whippet Mix
Before getting one, you should think about your ability to take care of a Whippet Chihuahua mix. There are many things to consider, but you must be able to provide for their daily requirements.
Since they are unable to communicate their needs, they will rely on their owners from an early age until adulthood. This section will walk you through the process of taking care of a Whippet Chihuahua mix.
Food and Diet
It is important to consider your dog’s age, size, and breed when deciding how much to feed your Chi Whippet.
Little dogs like these are more susceptible to getting fat, so they need fewer calories in their diet. In general, these hybrid dogs need around ½ to ⅓ cups of food daily, depending on age.
To achieve optimal health, you should feed your Whippet Chihuahua mix puppy food containing proteins, minerals, and fats, as well as recommended puppy supplements.
Further, an adult Whippet Chihuahua mix requires 35 to 40 calories per pound of body weight daily. On the other hand, a senior Chi Whippet only needs ½ to 1 cup of dog food.
Hybrid dogs can be fed either wet or dry dog food, but whichever type is chosen, it is vital to choose one that provides the best nutritional value.
Cleaning and Grooming
A Whippet Chihuahua mix will have an easy-to-maintain coat, just like Whippets and Chihuahuas. Despite that, this hybrid dog still needs regular brushing.
Additionally, a Whippet Chihuahua mix should be bathed once a month with mild dog shampoo. Short-coated dog breeds are more likely to develop skin conditions, so be sure to give your dog a thorough wash and dry.
Moreover, brushing your Chi Whippet’s teeth twice a day is important. But remember that you want to use a brush and toothpaste designed especially for canines.
As a responsible dog owner, you must also trim their nails regularly to avoid injuries and check your furry companion for any indication spots, scabs, or ticks.
Training and Exercise
Chihuahua Whippet mixes are considered intelligent and curious dogs. As a result, training these tiny puppies will be simple for aspiring dog owners with the necessary time and patience.
Using techniques for positive reinforcement during training sessions is also recommended.
Chi Whippets are also cheerful and attention-seeking dogs. They could pick up bad habits and be aggressive at times if you don’t provide the daily mental stimulation they need.
Additionally, it’s essential to provide your dog exposure to various stimuli, including unfamiliar people, other animals, and new locations. It will learn how to act in any circumstance thanks to this practice.
Due to the strong energy levels of both parents of the Chihuahua Whippet mix, you should be ready to take your dog for daily walks and playtimes. Give it at least 20 minutes of exercise daily.
How Much Does a Chihuahua Whippet Mix Cost? Puppy Prices & Expenses
Although a Chi Whippet puppy from a reputable breeder can range from $300 to $1,500, expect to pay more for specific characteristics like color and hair length.
However, the cost of a Chihuahua Whippet hybrid is merely an initial expenditure, just like when purchasing purebred dogs.
You should also set aside money for maintenance costs such as dog food, treats, an excellent bed, and vitamins.
On top of the cost of a dog, here are some initial costs associated with owning a Whippet Chihuahua mix:
|Type of Expense||Cost|
|Food and Treats||$30 – $110|
|Bowls||$10 – $30|
|Toys||$20 – $60|
|Beds||$30 – $200|
|Collars and Leashes||$15 – $50|
|Crates and Carriers||$30 – $370|
|Grooming Essentials||$50 – $160|
|Initial Vet Visits||$100 – $500|
|Initial Vaccine Shots||$50 – $300|
|Deworming, Flea, and Tick Medications||$40 – $300|
|Neutering or Spaying||$50 – $500|
|Microchipping||$40 – $60|
|Dog License||$10 – $20|
|Other Essentials||$20 – $50|
|Total Initial Cost||$495 – $2,470|
The table above shows that the initial cost you should expect to pay can be between $495 and $2,470. Whatever the case, all these costs are reasonable because your dog deserves the greatest treatment.
Places to Find Whippet Chihuahua Mix Puppies for Sale and Adoption
You can start looking for places to buy or adopt a Chi Whippet puppy once you’ve considered the expected cost of ownership.
Finding a trustworthy breeder or shelter that will provide you with a healthy puppy can be challenging. In addition, you should always steer away from puppy mills and backyard breeders during your search.
To get you started, here are some sources where you might be able to find Whippet Chihuahua puppies:
- Lancaster Puppies – It is one of the biggest puppy advertising online websites in the nation. Lancaster Puppies advertises puppies in places such as Pennsylvania, New York, Indiana, Ohio, and others. They have several Chihuahua and Whippet mixes in different colors and price ranges.
- Greenfield Puppies – Greenfield Puppies features a variety of Chihuahua mixes, similar to Lancaster Puppies. They have been around since 2000 and strongly discourage puppy mills. Therefore, they only permit approved breeders to post on their websites.
- Keystone Puppies – This advertising website offers a lot of Chihuahua mixes. Additionally, they offer puppies that have been socialized, give health guarantees, and have open access to medical records.
In addition to the sources mentioned above, you may also look for Whippet Chihuahua mixes in rescues.
Although the procedure of adopting a dog is drawn-out and frequently tedious, the benefits are worthwhile.
Check out the rescue organizations and adoption websites listed below if you’re interested in adopting a Whippet Chihuahua mix:
- Limbo Chihuahuas – Limbo Chihuahuas is a Florida-based organization that specializes in helping pure and mixed Chihuahuas get a second shot at life. Its goal is to reduce the daily euthanasia rate of needy dogs. Moreover, they make sure the puppies are both microchipped and up to date on their vaccines.
- Ay Chihuahua Rescue (ACR) – The Chihuahuas in need are rescued by ACR, an all-volunteer group, and assisted in finding loving homes. The non-negotiable adoption cost for Ay Chihuahua ranges from $165 to $240, depending on the pup of your choosing.
- Yankee Chihuahua Rescue (YCRAA) – This volunteer-run rescue, which was established in 2000, spared puppies from being put down in their own homes and then had them properly treated and socialized in order to be adopted.
If none of the above locations suit your needs, you may want to look for Chi Whippet owners on social media. They can direct you to the breeders who provided them with this mix.
Pros and Cons of Owning a Whippet Chihuahua Mix
A Whippet Chihuahua mixes have many admirable features. Still, they might not be appropriate for all households. Therefore, potential owners should weigh the benefits and drawbacks of owning one before making a choice.
Here are some benefits of purchasing or adopting a Chihuahua Whippet mix:
- Perfect for apartment dwellers: Whippet Chihuahua mixes are excellent apartment dogs. Since they’re small and don’t need a lot of space, they can comfortably live in apartments or small houses.
- Highly trainable and responsive: The offspring of an intellectual Chihuahua and an obedient Whippet are likely to be watchful and eager to learn. Furthermore, the majority of Chi Whippets show their owners affection and loyalty. Once properly trained, they make wonderful pets for any household.
- Long lifespan: They tend to have longer life expectancies than pure breeds because of the hybrid vigor that makes them considerably healthier. As they age and go through life with you, they can make wonderful friends.
Meanwhile, here are the drawbacks of owning a Whippet Chihuahua mix:
- Prone to obesity: Compared to other breeds, Chihuahua Whippet mixes are more likely to develop obesity. Unfortunately, the two most common causes of this illness are excessive eating and inactivity. They may struggle to maintain a healthy weight due to their smaller stature.
- Can be very territorial: If not socialized from a young age, the Whippet Chihuahua mix may become aggressive toward people and other animals. So think about whether you’ll have the time and money to train a Chi Whippet before you get one.
- Cannot be left alone: This hybrid craves attention and may struggle if left alone, especially for an extended amount of time. Therefore, they are inappropriate for households and people that frequently travel for work or pleasure.
Knowing the previous details will help you determine whether this designer dog is a good fit for your lifestyle, personality, and surroundings. After all, picking the ideal canine companion requires careful consideration.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Whippet Chihuahua Mixes Good Dogs?
These mixed-breed canines make excellent family dogs if you want an affectionate, protective, and alert dog. They also blend in nicely due to the lack of extensive exercise requirements.
Additionally, they may quickly be incorporated into any exercise routine you have, and they’ll be happy.
Do Whippet Chihuahua Mixes Shed?
Despite being low-maintenance dogs, the Chihuahua Whippet mix tends to shed a lot. However, this shedding issue can be easily controlled with proper grooming and frequent brushing.
Are Whippet Chihuahua Mixes Hypoallergenic?
Unfortunately, Whippet Chihuahua mixes are not hypoallergenic. They might not be appropriate in homes with residents who are allergic or sensitive to dander.
Furthermore, dog dander is not just found on the coats of these dogs. People with canine allergies may also experience problems from the saliva and urine of a Chihuahua Whippet mix.
In general, your lifestyle, financial situation, and level of experience will determine whether a Chi Whippet is the ideal dog for you. In this regard, the Chi Whippet is typically not recommended for new dog owners.
To maintain their happiness and health, they need constant care. Furthermore, some people unable to handle such enthusiasm may find this designer breed’s high energy level too overwhelming.
It’s also crucial that aspiring Whippet Chihuahua mix owners have the patience and time to devote to basic obedience training, early socialization, and a ton of mental stimulation.
However, the love and devotion you will experience from this combination will make the sacrifices worthwhile.
Do you have any experience with this unique mixed-breed dog? Let us know your thoughts about the Chi Whippet in the comments below!