If you are looking for a loyal, loving, and smart canine companion, the Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix should be on top of your list. Albeit not as popular as other designer dogs, this hybrid makes an amazing pet.
This dog combines two favorite breeds — the energetic and muscular Boxer and the courageous Black Mouth Cur — creating a one-of-a-kind canine with an amazing personality and unique look.
This article will explore the Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix’s origin and history, appearance and size, temperament, care requirements, and more. Read on to find out if this mixed-breed dog is right for you!
|Height:||15 – 25 inches|
|Weight:||30 – 70 pounds|
|Lifespan:||10 – 14 years|
|Coat Colors:||Solid black, white, or brown|
|Temperament:||Loyal, energetic, intelligent|
|Suitable for:||Families who love the outdoors; families with children; owners who enjoy long walks or hikes and jogging|
What Is a Black Mouth Cur Boxer Mix?
The Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix is the result of combining two purebred dogs — the Boxer and the Black Mouth Cur. This hybrid dog combines the courage and athleticism of the Black Mouth Cur with the intelligence and loyalty of the Boxer. Black Mouth Cur Boxer mixes are best suited for active owners.
Both parents are highly energetic, outgoing dogs that love being around their families. The Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix inherits these traits and combines them with a unique look that is sure to turn heads.
This mixed breed has gained attention for its loyal, loving personality, muscular body, and unique look. However, like all mixed breeds, the Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix is not recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC).
Black Mouth Cur Boxer Mix Origin and History
The Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix is a relatively new designer breed, and as such, its exact origin is unknown. However, we can look at the history of both parent breeds to get an idea of where this hybrid pup comes from.
The Boxer was developed in Germany during the 19th century by crossing Bulldogs with other breeds to create a medium-sized dog with great agility and strength.
The breed was used for bull baiting, farm work, and guarding duties and is now one of the most popular breeds in the United States and other countries worldwide.
Meanwhile, the Black Mouth Cur originated in the southeast of the United States during the early 19th century.
It was developed from various dogs, including the English Cur, Mountain Cur, and Treeing Tennessee Brindle, to produce a brave hunting dog that could track and tree small game.
Considering the different histories of both parent breeds, the Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix is likely to have been created during the late 20th century when designer dogs became popular.
Today, the Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix is a beloved canine companion quickly gaining popularity worldwide. It is known for being an incredibly loyal, loving, and smart dog that is great with children and other pets.
Black Mouth Cur Boxer Mix Appearance
The Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix has a unique appearance that can vary from pup to pup. Your pup may have the Boxer’s long muzzle and tall stature or the shorter muzzle and muscular body of the Black Mouth Cur.
Regardless of their inherited features, this mix typically has an alert and lively facial expression.
Generally, this mix has a short to medium-length coat that can come in a variety of colors and markings, although solid black, white, or brown are the most common.
Your pup’s coat can also be patterned with patches, brindles, or spots. You may also see some Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix pups with tails docked as some owners follow the typical tail length of their Boxer parents.
Overall, the Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix has an athletic, muscular body with powerful legs and a wide chest. Its ears may be floppy, which some owners prefer over cropped ears, like the Boxer’s.
Black Mouth Cur Boxer Mix Size and Weight
The Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix is a medium-sized dog breed, usually weighing between 30 and 70 pounds. These pups typically stand between 15 and 25 inches high at the shoulder.
Some dogs may deviate from these measurements since your pup’s size and weight can vary greatly depending on its genes and nutrition.
The Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix typically reaches its full size and weight between 18 months and two years old. During this period, they tend to grow rapidly as they reach maturity.
However, they may continue to fill out until around three or four years of age. Proper nutrition is essential during this time to ensure your pup develops healthily and grows to its full potential.
Black Mouth Cur Boxer Mix Temperament and Personality
The Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix is a loyal, active, and intelligent dog. It is an excellent companion for families who love the outdoors and enjoy spending time with their pets.
However, the temperament of the Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix can vary greatly. Some common traits observed in this hybrid include being loyal, energetic, and intelligent.
They are also very active dogs that need lots of daily exercise to stay healthy and happy. Furthermore, these pups love spending time with their families, making them excellent playmates for kids of all ages.
A Boxer may seem aggressive, but the Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix is an amiable dog that loves meeting new people and animals.
This mix also tends to be protective of its family and territory, so proper training and socialization are essential for these pups.
Black Mouth Cur Boxer Mix Lifespan and Health Issues
The Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix has a life expectancy of 10 to 14 years, although this can vary depending on their diet and lifestyle. These pups have relatively good health, but they may face some common health issues.
Some common health issues faced by Black Mouth Cur Boxer mixes are as follows:
- Hip Dysplasia: Hip dysplasia is a common health issue in large-breed dogs, including the Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix. This condition occurs when the hip joints don’t develop correctly and can cause pain, stiffness, and limited mobility.
- Heart Problems: The Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix is prone to heart problems such as congestive heart failure and arrhythmia. These conditions are either inherited or developed throughout the course of life.
- Skin Conditions: This hybrid is also prone to skin conditions such as hot spots, allergies, and dry skin. These can be treated with proper care and nutrition, but monitoring your pup’s skin regularly is also equally important.
With these in mind, you must ensure that your pup is receiving regular veterinary checkups throughout its life. This will help identify and deal with any potential health problems quickly.
Nutrition is also key to keeping your Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix healthy and happy, so be sure to provide your pup with a balanced diet alongside proper care and exercise.
How to Take Care of Your Boxer Black Mouth Cur Mix
The Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix is a loyal, affectionate and courageous pup that needs plenty of love and attention from its owners.
To keep your pup healthy and happy, you must provide it with proper nutrition, exercise, and regular checkups with a vet. Here are some tips on how to look after your Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix.
Food and Diet
Like its Boxer and Black Mouth Cur parents, the Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix needs a nutritious and balanced diet to stay healthy.
When feeding this mix, you should choose a type of dry food specifically designed for large breeds. Ideally, they should be fed high-quality dog food formulated for their size, age, and activity level.
You can also supplement your dog’s diet with wet food and healthy treats. However, you should limit the number of treats you give them to avoid obesity.
Cleaning and Grooming
The Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix requires regular grooming to stay healthy and happy. This pup has a short to medium-length coat, which should be brushed at least once a week and more often if they are shedding heavily.
Bathing should be done as needed depending on how dirty your pup gets, but avoid bathing your dog too frequently as this can dry out its skin.
Ears should be checked and cleaned regularly, and their teeth should be brushed at least twice a week to prevent plaque buildup. Nails should also be trimmed when they start to get too long.
Training and Exercise
The Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix is an intelligent pup that loves to please its owners, making them relatively easy to train.
You should start training your pup early on with basic obedience commands such as “sit” and “stay.” Your pup should also be socialized early on to get used to being around people and other animals.
Moreover, the Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix needs plenty of physical activities to stay healthy, happy, and well-behaved.
These pups have a lot of energy and need an outlet, so make sure to take your pup out for walks or runs for two hours a day. Make sure to switch up activities like fetch and swimming to keep them engaged and entertained.
To give you an idea of how a Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix behaves when outside, you can watch this video:
How Much Does a Black Mouth Cur Boxer Mix Cost? Puppy Prices & Expenses
The cost of a Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix puppy can range from $600 to $1,300. Its price varies based on the breeder, its parent breeds, its age, and other factors.
In addition to buying a healthy puppy, you should also factor in additional expenses such as food, vet bills, toys, and other items.
Below is a breakdown of the estimated costs associated with owning a Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix:
|Type of Expense||Cost|
|Food and Treats||$70 – $110|
|Bowls||$10 – $30|
|Toys||$30 – $60|
|Beds||$40 – $200|
|Collars and Leashes||$15 – $50|
|Crates and Carriers||$50 – $370|
|Grooming Essentials||$50 – $160|
|Initial Vet Visits||$100 – $500|
|Initial Vaccine Shots||$50 – $300|
|Deworming, Flea, and Tick Medications||$40 – $300|
|Neutering or Spaying||$50 – $500|
|Microchipping||$40 – $60|
|Dog License||$10 – $20|
|Other Essentials||$20 – $50|
|Total Initial Cost||$505 – $2,710|
Overall, the initial cost of owning a Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix can range from about $505 to $2,710. Some breeders include some items and services in their puppy price, so you can exclude those from your budget.
As you can see, these pups are not an inexpensive investment, but they make up for it through their loyalty and love.
Places to Find Black Mouth Cur Boxer Mix Puppies for Sale and Adoption
If you’re looking for a Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix puppy, there are several places where you can find one. You’ll have many options, from online breeders to animal shelters and rescue organizations.
Here is a list of places where you can purchase Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix puppies for sale:
- AKC Marketplace – The AKC Marketplace can be a great source for finding Boxer Black Mouth Cur mix puppies for sale. This online marketplace offers detailed information on breeders, puppy availability, and pricing. In addition, they provide helpful resources such as health testing results, breeder contact information, and comprehensive puppy descriptions.
- Greenfield Puppies – Greenfield Puppies is another great resource for finding Boxer Black Mouth Cur mix puppies for sale. They offer an extensive selection of both purebred and mixed-breed puppies. All of the puppies on their site are up-to-date on vaccinations, have been examined by a certified veterinarian, and come with a one-year health guarantee.
- Good Dog – Good Dog is an online platform that helps connect breeders and potential puppy owners. They have a comprehensive directory of breeders that may offer Boxer Black Mouth Cur mix puppies for sale. In addition to this, they also provide helpful information such as health testing results, breeder contact information, and detailed descriptions of each puppy.
Purchasing a puppy directly from a breeder is an excellent way to ensure that your pup comes with all necessary documents and vaccinations.
But if the above-mentioned list doesn’t offer this mix, you can try your luck by checking Black Mouth Cur Boxer mixes from the rescues below:
- Petfinder – Petfinder is an online platform that connects pet owners with adoptable pets from animal organizations across the United States. They may have Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix puppies available for adoption.
- Adopt A Boxer Rescue (AABR) – Adopt A Boxer is a non-profit organization dedicated to rescuing abandoned, neglected, and abused Boxers from shelters. Occasionally, they may have Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix puppies available for adoption as well.
- Adopt-a-Pet – This is a pet adoption website that connects potential adopters with adoptable animals from animal organizations across the United States. From time to time, they may have a variety of Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix puppies available for adoption.
If the list provided above does not offer a suitable Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix, you may want to drive around your neighborhood to look for local rescues and shelters.
Pros and Cons of Owning a Black Mouth Cur Boxer Mix
Before you bring a Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix puppy into your life, it’s important to consider not just the benefits of owning one but also some potential drawbacks.
The following are some pros of owning a Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix puppy:
- Loyal and loving companions: The Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix is an incredibly loyal and affectionate dog that loves to please its owners. This makes them excellent companion animals that are sure to bring plenty of joy into your life.
- Very active: This breed has a lot of energy and loves to be active, so they’re perfect for those who enjoy long walks or hikes. They are also great jogging partners.
- Easily trainable: This breed is very intelligent and, with the right guidance, can learn basic commands and proper behaviors quickly. Additionally, they are very sociable and will quickly learn the rules of your home if you take the time to train them properly.
Meanwhile, here are some drawbacks to owning a Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix:
- Aggression towards strangers or other animals: Like any breed, the Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix may display aggressive behavior if not socialized as a puppy. This can include aggression towards strangers or unfamiliar animals. Hence, it is important to expose them to new people and places early to ensure they are comfortable with them.
- Potential health issues: As a mixed breed, the Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix can be prone to certain genetic health issues common in both parent breeds. It is important to research the common health issues of both breeds to familiarize yourself with potential issues that may arise.
- Separation anxiety: The Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix can become anxious when left alone for long periods. To prevent this from happening, owners should establish daily routines involving plenty of interactive playtime and affection. Additionally, crate training can help reduce anxiety when a pup is away from its owner.
Overall, the Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix is an excellent breed for those willing to commit to providing them with all the love and care they need.
While they can be a handful at times, with the right owners, this breed has the potential to become one of the most loyal and loving companions you’ll ever know.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Black Mouth Cur Boxer Mixes Bark a Lot?
The Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix can be quite vocal, so if you live in a home with close neighbors, you should think twice about getting this breed.
Make sure to provide them with plenty of physical activities and mental stimulation to help keep their barking to a minimum.
Do Black Mouth Cur Boxer Mixes Shed?
Yes, the Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix sheds moderately. They require regular grooming to keep their coat and nails in good condition.
You may need to brush them regularly to help keep their coat looking its best and reduce shedding around your home.
Are Black Mouth Cur Boxer Mixes Hypoallergenic?
No, the Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix is not a hypoallergenic breed. This means that they may produce dander, which can cause allergic reactions in people with allergies or asthma.
If you or someone in your family has allergies, it is important to take extra precautions when considering this breed.
The Black Mouth Cur Boxer mix is an incredibly loyal and loving companion that can make a great addition to your family.
They are smart, active dogs that require lots of physical and mental stimulation to stay happy and healthy.
However, this breed does require an experienced owner who can give them the attention they need. If you’re prepared to provide the right care, this breed can make a great companion for years to come.
Are you ready to welcome this unique mixed-breed dog into your home? Let us know your thoughts about the Boxer Black Mouth Cur mix by leaving a comment below!