The Vizsla Pitbull mix is a wonderful hybrid to have as a companion. This energetic pooch exhibits strength and intelligence thanks to its parents. If you want a dog you can do activities with, choose the Vizsla Pitbull mix!
In this guide, we’ll put the Vizsla Pitbull mix in the spotlight and discuss everything you need to know about this crossbreed. You’ll learn about its history, appearance, behavior, and more.
In addition, you’ll also have an idea about its needs, common health issues, and the cost of owning one. At the end of this guide, you’ll know if the Vizsla Pitbull mix is a suitable addition to your household.
|Height:||18 – 22 inches|
|Weight:||40 – 70 pounds|
|Lifespan:||10 – 15 years|
|Coat Colors:||Golden rust, russet gold, dark sandy gold|
|Temperament:||Loyal, intelligent, playful|
|Suitable for:||Families with children; active singles; being a watchdog|
What Is a Vizsla Pitbull Mix?
The Vizsla Pitbull mix is a cross between a Vizsla and an American Pit Bull Terrier. This hybrid dog is popular for its strength, intelligence, and playful temperament. As a mix between two energetic breeds, the Vizsla Pitbull mix prefers a more active lifestyle.
With the skill of the Vizsla when it comes to hunting and the strength and energy of the Pitbull, the Vizsla Pitbull mix appreciates a good amount of physical activity. Thus, training and exercise should be part of their routine.
As a hybrid dog, the Vizsla Pitbull mix is not recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC). Due to this, they are not allowed to participate in conformation shows and competitions requiring AKC recognition.
Vizsla Pitbull Mix Origin and History
The Vizsla Pitbull mix may not be a well-known designer breed, but it is truly an exciting discovery.
The crossbreed’s exact origin remains obscure despite its parents’ well-recorded origin.
We only know that the Vizsla Pitbull mix has been around for only a few decades. They were most likely bred in order to combine the best traits of both Vizsla and Pitbull breeds.
Regarding the parent breeds, both have been around for centuries and have been part of historical events.
Originating in the United Kingdom, Pitbulls were bred during the 1800s and were used in a cruel sport known as bull baiting.
Meanwhile, the Vizsla or the Hungarian Pointer originated in Hungary and has aristocratic roots. The breed was cherished by the early nobles around this area and was employed as hunting dogs.
As evident from both parent breeds, you can’t expect less of a Vizsla Pitbull mix. This crossbreed manifests the intelligent, obedient, and energetic characteristics of both the Vizsla and the Pitbull.
Vizsla Pitbull Mix Appearance
The Vizsla Pitbull mix generally has a sturdy and muscular physique. Despite its robust build, it usually has long limbs that can be reminiscent of the Vizsla. That said, this hybrid is an accurate combo of its parents’ physical form.
These pooches are also well-known for their short-haired, golden rust coat, which they most likely inherited from the Vizsla.
Aside from a gold oxide coat, the Vizsla Pitbull mix’s coat also comes in russet gold and dark sandy gold.
Nonetheless, this mix can also exhibit the various coat coloration of its Pitbull parent.
When it comes to facial features, the Vizsla Pitbull mix displays a slightly boxy head, an elongated muzzle, and large ears that hang at cheek level.
It also has almond-shaped eyes, and its nose has almost the same color as its coat.
In terms of size, the Vizsla Pitbull mix is generally a medium-sized dog. Although, this will largely depend on which dominant trait it will inherit from its parents. Its size will be anywhere from medium to large.
The Vizsla Pitbull mix can somehow be challenging to identify apart from other breeds, especially from its parent breeds. But further learning about its usual physical attributes can help you recognize a Vizsla Pitbull mix.
Vizsla Pitbull Mix Size and Weight
The Vizsla Pitbull mix is a medium to large dog, almost similar to its parents’ size.
On average, a full-grown Vizsla Pitbull mix could be as heavy as 40 to 70 pounds and can stand at around 18 to 22 inches tall.
Just like in other breeds, male Vizsla Pitbull mix dogs are slightly bigger than their female counterparts. Another physical attribute that sets male Vizsla Pits apart from female ones is their brawny form.
The size of a Vizsla Pit can be unpredictable, especially in its puppy stage. Your pooch’s weight heavily depends on the size of its parents.
As with many hybrids, genetics plays a key role in the physical attributes of a crossbreed.
The best way to have an idea of how big your pooch will get as an adult is to examine the size of its parents. If both the Vizsla and Pitbull parents are fairly large, then expect your Vizsla Pit pup to be somehow the same.
Vizsla Pitbull Mix Temperament and Personality
Vizslas and Pitbulls are both intelligent and loyal breeds, a hallmark of being good companion dogs. As mentioned earlier, these two breeds are notorious for being athletic, strong, and energetic.
As you would expect, all these qualities are evident in a Vizsla Pitbull mix. Due to this, your hybrid pooch wouldn’t value staying and slacking all day indoors.
Vizsla Pits are active crossbreeds that appreciate frequent exercise and training. It is assumed that the mixture between a Vizsla and a Pitbull results in a dog that is twice as active as its parents.
So if you are an aspiring owner with an active lifestyle, this dog is the perfect match for you.
Due to their energy and playfulness, this hybrid might not be for novice dog owners or those who prefer keeping their pets indoors. It takes an experienced owner to train and discipline them.
Nonetheless, the Vizsla Pitbull mix won’t usually exhibit rowdy behavior. Although playful, it will still respect and obey its master.
It is unsure if Vizsla Pitbull mix dogs would make good guard dogs. Contrary to their personality of being strong, alert, and brave, they love being around and playing with people, given they are properly socialized.
However, the Vizsla Pitbull mix might not be the one for you if you’re an owner who is frequently away from home. Like its parent breeds, it tends to be clingy and hates being alone.
With all of these considered, the Vizsla Pitbull mix is a wonderful choice for a pet for certain families.
Watch this video to see what a properly trained Vizsla Pitbull mix looks like:
Vizsla Pitbull Mix Lifespan and Health Issues
The lifespan of a Vizsla Pitbull mix is relatively lengthy. You can expect their life expectancy to be between 10 and 15 years, somehow similar to their Pitbull and Vizsla parents.
Despite their long lifespan, Vizsla Pits also have numerous health concerns that owners must be aware of. These issues were most likely inherited from their parent breeds.
Here are some of the common health problems of the Vizsla Pitbull mix:
- Patellar Luxation: Patellar luxation is a condition where the kneecap moves out of its normal location. You may notice that your dog is occasionally limping, then suddenly back to normal. Some dogs can tolerate the condition better than others, depending on the severity.
- Hip Dysplasia: Dysplasia is a health problem caused by a misalignment in the ball-and-socket joint. Hip dysplasia affects the pelvis area and is a more common occurrence in older dogs.
- Hypothyroidism: Hypothyroidism causes the decline of bodily functions due to hormone underproduction in the thyroid gland. Symptoms include lethargy, hair loss, loss of appetite, and more.
If you aspire to own a Vizsla Pitbull mix, it is a must to make yourself aware of the early signs of these health issues. The same goes when taking care of other breeds.
Early detection can help early resolution of these ailments. A good way to practice this is to take your Vizsla Pit to regular check-ups religiously.
How to Take Care of Your Pitbull Vizsla Mix
Vizsla Pitbull hybrids don’t require much to have a well-lived life. Just like their parent breeds, these dogs are pretty easy pets to take care of. But as mentioned, Vizsla Pits need a lot of physical activities and companionship.
As a responsible Vizsla Pitbull mix owner, you also need to consider a good diet for these pooches, given that they’re very active dogs.
Another thing to note is good cleaning and grooming. That said, let’s dive into some of these care tips.
Food and Diet
The usual feeding regime of a Vizsla Pitbull mix is not so different from that of its Pitbull and Vizsla parents.
This hybrid is highly active and needs more food than other breeds. A feeding frequency of two meals a day is ideal for a Vizsla Pit.
As with any other dog, it is important to consider your dog’s age and level of activity whenever choosing the right kind of kibble. If your Vizsla Pit is still a pup, you may need to provide specific puppy food.
Aside from commercial dog food, you can include homemade food in your pet’s diet. Steamed white meat and vegetables are good options for your pooch. If you’re quite unsure of what to feed it, you can ask for vet advice.
Cleaning and Grooming
The coat of a Vizsla Pitbull mix is short and easy to maintain. Its sheen, texture, and length are relatively reminiscent of that of its parents. It is best to brush your pup at least once a week to keep its coat healthy and shiny.
Hygiene is essential for a Vizsla Pitbull mix. Bathing your dog routinely will keep it clean and odor-free. However, Vizsla Pits do not require bathing often. Bathe them when they get really dirty and use warm water.
Make sure to check its ears and ear wax color, as this may indicate infection. Nails should also be trimmed regularly, especially if you see the nails separate from the quick.
Training and Exercise
Training a Vizsla Pitbull mix can get overwhelming, especially if you’re a first-time dog owner.
Due to their high energy, it can be difficult to keep up with them. However, managing your dog will be easier if you start with obedience training early.
Luckily, the Vizsla Pitbull mix is highly trainable and receptive to vocal commands.
These loyal and intelligent pooches are usually obedient to their owner, so disciplining them won’t be a hassle despite their playfulness.
As a Vizsla Pitbull owner, be prepared to dedicate time for this pooch’s playtime. At least one hour per day will be necessary for your dog’s exercise.
However, be sure your dog’s on the leash to avoid preying on smaller animals.
How Much Does a Vizsla Pitbull Mix Cost? Puppy Prices & Expenses
Generally, a Vizsla Pitbull mix will set you back anywhere between $1,000 and $3,600. If you prefer getting one from a champion lineage, expect to pay an amount near the pricier end of this range or beyond.
Aside from the upfront cost of getting a Vizsla Pitbull mix, you also need to save an amount for the essentials of caring for one from your budget. Some of these necessities are a dog crate, toys, dog toiletries, and more.
Here’s a list of all the other expenses for a Vizsla Pitbull mix puppy:
|Type of Expense||Cost|
|Food and Treats||$70 – $110|
|Bowls||$10 – $30|
|Toys||$30 – $60|
|Beds||$40 – $200|
|Collars and Leashes||$15 – $50|
|Crates and Carriers||$50 – $370|
|Grooming Essentials||$50 – $160|
|Initial Vet Visits||$100 – $500|
|Initial Vaccine Shots||$50 – $300|
|Deworming, Flea, and Tick Medications||$40 – $300|
|Neutering or Spaying||$50 – $500|
|Microchipping||$40 – $60|
|Dog License||$10 – $20|
|Other Essentials||$20 – $50|
|Total Initial Cost||$505 – $2,710|
As you may notice from the table, you need to prepare around $505 to $2,710 for these essentials.
In addition to that, you also need to consider recurring expenses such as dog food, treats, vitamins, health check-ups, and grooming fees.
The cost truly depends on the things you spend on your pet. Not to mention, if you also avail of services like dog sitters or pet daycare, expect your expenses to go beyond this range.
Places to Find Vizsla Pitbull Mix Puppies for Sale and Adoption
The Vizsla Pitbull mix is a wonderful addition to the family, and it’s only natural to be excited about taking one home. Unfortunately, not many breeders are focused on raising and selling this hybrid.
Having said that, it might be difficult to spot a Vizsla and Pitbull mix for sale. But do not fret! I have gathered up some of the best places to start your search.
Here are some places where you might find Vizsla Pitbull mix puppies for sale:
- American Kennel Club (AKC) Marketplace – The AKC Marketplace is a good place to start your search. The platform features a directory of breeders of a specific breed, complete with information about the breeder’s background, location, and contact details. Checking out the directory and further inquiry from the Vizsla breeders might help.
- Greenfield Puppies – Greenfield Puppies is a website that features pup listings from reputable breeders all over the country. This platform is a convenient tool to scout for purebreds and hybrids from trustworthy sources. Stay tuned on their page, and you might stumble upon a Vizsla Pitbull mix for sale.
- Vizsla Society of Ontario, Inc. – The VSO breeder’s list offers you a selection of breeders located in Canada and the United States that are certified to have conducted health tests and have certified clearances on their breeding stock. The web page also exhibits a list of guidelines pertaining to selecting a responsible breeder.
If you want more options in getting a Vizsla Pitbull mix, you can also choose adoption. This is much more practical and noble.
Below are some sources where you can find Vizsla Pitbull mixes for adoption:
- Vizsla Rescue Haven – If you reside in California, you might want to visit the Vizsla Rescue Haven. This rescue currently has limited space that can accommodate 6 to 8 Vizslas. But they plan to expand their shelter to house a pack of up to 20 dogs. Be sure to reach out to them since they might have a Vizsla Pit for adoption.
- The Vizsla Club of America, Inc. – Aside from celebrating Vizslas and hosting national events, the Vizsla Club of America, Inc. (VCA) also features a rescue page where you can scan through a directory of shelters to adopt a rescue Vizsla. Be sure to check these adoption centers out, and you might stumble upon a Vizsla Pitbull mix looking for a new home.
- Missouri Pitbull Rescue – Missouri Pitbull Rescue is an all-volunteer rescue group located in Missouri. Aside from saving Pitbulls from homelessness, they also aim to promote responsible Pitbull ownership as well as to provide education about the breed. Aside from Pitbulls, they also have Pitbull mixes and other breeds as well. Stick to their page to see if a Vizsla Pitbull mix will be up for adoption.
To be frank, it is quite challenging to find a Vizsla Pitbull mix either from breeders or from rescues since this crossbreed isn’t as well-known compared to other dogs. But with persistence, you can eventually find one.
Pros and Cons of Owning a Vizsla Pitbull Mix
If you are eager to have a Vizsla Pitbull mix best friend, then it might be best to glance over some of the pros and cons of owning one first.
It might be tempting to purposely overlook the cons of having one, but awareness is key.
Here are the pros of owning a Vizsla Pitbull mix:
- Great family dogs: With the Vizsla Pit’s affinity to playing outdoors and friendliness to people, it is no wonder this hybrid is a good candidate for family pet. The Vizsla Pit mix will surely be an excellent companion during outdoor activities with the family.
- Loyal and affectionate: Vizsla Pitbull dogs are also considered to be “Velcro dogs” due to their clinginess to people. Vizsla Pits definitely enjoy the company and attention of its owner.
- Minimal shedding: Unlike breeds or hybrids with double coats, Vizsla Pitbull mixes only shed little due to their short, single coat. Furthermore, they also have no undercoat so expect a small amount of shedding from this dog throughout the year.
- Good watchdogs: Due to its ancestry, the Vizsla Pitbull mix can be a good watchdog. While they are not exactly good guard dogs, these pooches are highly intelligent and trainable and can alert their owner during unpredictable situations.
Meanwhile, here are the cons of owning a Vizsla Pitbull mix:
- Not ideal in cold conditions: As mentioned earlier, Vizsla Pitbull mixes get cold easily due to the absence of an undercoat. That said, Vizsla Pit owners must avoid subjecting their pooch to spaces with low temperatures because of their cold intolerance.
- Highly energetic and active: As a major point discussed in this article, Vizsla Pitbull mixes are known to have lots of energy and love to expend it through play and exercise, just like their parent breeds. Due to this, first-time owners might get overwhelmed and have a difficult time keeping this hybrid.
- Predatory instinct: Due to their parentage, Vizsla Pitbull mixes tend to hunt or prey on smaller animals. As an owner, it is best to keep an eye out on this dog or provide it with proper socialization with other animals/fellow dogs at an early age.
With this list, you can now determine if the conditions are right to own a Vizsla Pitbull mix. Make sure to weigh the pros and cons before getting this pooch so you won’t have any trouble in the future.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Vizsla Pitbull Mixes Aggressive?
Despite having a Pitbull as one of its parents, the Vizsla Pitbull mix is not aggressive by nature. Its parent breeds are not entirely aggressive like many people claim. This dog might only exhibit aggressiveness when mistreated.
Do Vizsla Pitbull Mixes Shed a Lot?
The Vizsla Pitbull mix shed very little hair. Nonetheless, their short coat shed but not as much as double-coated dogs. Despite having a single coat, it is best to brush your Vizsla Pitbull mix regularly to keep it healthy and tidy.
Are Vizsla Pitbull Mixes Hypoallergenic?
Although the Vizsla Pitbull mix rarely sheds, it is still not considered to be hypoallergenic. Its parent breeds, the Vizsla and Pitbull, shed a significant amount of hair each year, so you can expect the same for the Vizsla Pit.
The Vizsla Pitbull mix is an excellent dog to have. It is the perfect dog for owners who have active lifestyles. This rust-colored pooch is a good outdoor companion and a sweet family member indoors.
Despite that, if you’re the type of owner who’s regularly busy and away from home, this dog is not for you. Apart from loving exercise, the Vizsla Pitbull mix loves attention and will long for your presence.
But if you are constantly beside this clingy pooch and attentive to them, your dog might be the happiest!
So, what are your thoughts about the unique and unusual Pitbull Vizsla mix? Let us know in the comments below!