Have you ever come across a Great Dane Chihuahua mix? Some of you may find it impossible, given that the two purebred dogs are completely opposite, particularly regarding their sizes.
However, crossing between these two breeds has already been done. Some breeders were able to mix this unlikely combination but not through a natural method.
Stick around and read this article until the end if you want to learn more about the Great Dane Chihuahua mix!
|Height:||5 – 32 inches|
|Weight:||3 – 175 pounds|
|Lifespan:||10 – 12 years|
|Coat Colors:||Black, fawn, white, chocolate, blue, brindle|
|Temperament:||Loyal, lively, alert, gentle, affectionate|
|Suitable for:||Families with children; being a companion dog|
What Is a Great Dane Chihuahua Mix?
The Great Dane Chihuahua mix is a hybrid dog that results from breeding a Great Dane and a Chihuahua. This designer dog is also called the Great Mexican Dog or the Chi Dane Dane. Typically, breeders use artificial insemination to create this unique breed.
Due to the difficulty in producing them, there are only a few of these hybrid dogs worldwide. Hence, the Chi Dane Dane mix is regarded as a rare crossbreed.
Apart from the parent breeds’ significant size difference, breeding them also requires artificial insemination, which can be both difficult and costly.
Therefore, producing a crossbreed between a Great Dane and a Chihuahua involves overcoming several obstacles.
Can You Mix a Great Dane With a Chihuahua?
Mixing a Great Dane and a Chihuahua is possible, but the mix cannot be produced through natural mating.
Breeding a large canine with a tiny dog would be very challenging. Hence, breeders have tried artificial insemination. This has become an alternative method to produce a Chihuahua Great Dane mix.
However, the hurdle doesn’t stop there. Breeders also need to consider the sizes of the pups, especially if the female dog is a Chihuahua. The womb of a female Chihuahua could not possibly hold puppies that are too large.
This is why the optimal and safest way of breeding a Chi Dane Dane is by artificially inseminating a female Great Dane with the sperm of a male Chihuahua.
At the moment, not many people own a Chi Dane Dane since only a few breeders produce them. And considering the breeding method, they are also quite expensive compared to other crossbreeds.
Great Dane Chihuahua Mix Origin and History
Not much is known about the history and origin of the Chihuahua Great Dane mix, just like many other crossbreeds. But, the parent breed of this designer dog has a long documented history.
The Chihuahua is a tiny dog with a big personality. This dog was recognized as a breed by the AKC in 1904.
Chihuahuas descended from the Techichi dog of the Toltec Empire and were initially bred for diverse reasons like companionship, ceremonies, rituals, and food.
It is also said that the Chihuahua we know today was created by crossbreeding with the Xoloitzcuintli, a hairless breed of dog from Mexico. Nowadays, these dogs are solely bred for companionship.
The Chihuahua is one of the oldest dogs in the United States and can trace its lineage back to the ancient kingdoms of pre-Columbian times. They are also often referred to as “purse dogs.”
Meanwhile, the Great Dane is a friendly and relaxed breed known as the “Apollo of Dogs.” In 1887, the AKC officially recognized it as a breed.
Great Danes are originally from Germany, not Denmark, and have existed for over 400 years. They descended from Mastiff-like dogs bred by German nobility to guard estates and hunt wild boar.
By the 18th century, they had become renowned protectors of carriages and estates. The upper class favored Great Danes for sport, as they were among the few dogs capable of taking down a wild boar.
The Great Dane we know today was developed in the 1800s. In 1880, the Germans renamed the breed “Deutsche Dogge,” meaning German Mastiff, but it is still known as Great Dane in English-speaking nations.
Considering the long history of its parent breeds, the Chi Dane Dane is believed to have been first bred in the United States in the early 2000s.
It is thought that breeders wanted to create a dog with the size and strength of a Great Dane but with the playful and energetic temperament of a Chihuahua.
While the AKC does not officially recognize the breed, some breeders and enthusiasts still continue to breed this dog.
Great Dane Chihuahua Mix Appearance
The physical appearance of a Chihuahua Great Dane mix will vary depending on which parent passes on the dominant genes.
These dogs have long bodies with short legs and bear some resemblance to a Dachshund, while their head is large and has a shape similar to that of an English Greyhound.
Most Chi Dane Dane dogs will have straight, pointy ears and a slightly smaller head that looks like a Great Dane but with rounder features and a shorter snout.
Typically, this mix has a short coat, but it could vary depending on the genes inherited from the parent breeds. For example, if the Chihuahua parent has long hair, the Chi Dane Dane may also have long hair.
Great Dane Chihuahua Mix Size and Weight
The height and weight of the Great Dane Chihuahua vary significantly. Since its parents are the total opposite in size, it is expected that their offspring would either be small or large.
The mix is typically taller and longer than Chihuahuas, yet smaller and less sturdy than Great Danes.
A Chihuahua stands 5 to 8 inches tall, and its weight does not exceed 6 pounds. In contrast, a Great Dane can grow up to 32 inches in height and weighs anywhere from 140 to 150 pounds.
Hence, the size of a Chi Dane Dane will vary depending on which parent’s dominant genes are inherited by the dog. It’s also expected to be fully grown once it reaches 12 months.
Watch this video to learn more about this mix:
Great Dane Chihuahua Mix Temperament and Personality
The temperament and personality of Chi Dane Danes can vary, as they can exhibit traits of either parent or a combination of both.
Great Danes make lovely family pets because they are devoted, loving, and friendly. They have the potential to be effective guard dogs. At the same time, they are gentle and tolerant around kids.
On the other hand, Chihuahuas are curious, energetic, and affectionate dogs. However, they can be somewhat headstrong and easily startled without appropriate training.
Hence, Great Dane Chihuahua mixes can be friendly, gentle, loyal, affectionate, lovable, and sweet. Their temperament can range from calm, like the Great Dane parent, to lively and hyper, like the Chihuahua.
Like Great Danes, these mixed breeds enjoy snuggling with their owners. Yet, their Chihuahua genetics can make them prone to becoming temperamental if they don’t get their way.
Great Dane Chihuahua Mix Lifespan and Health Issues
The life expectancy of a Chi Dane Dane ranges between 10 and 12 years.
Great Danes typically have a short life expectancy of approximately 7 to 10 years. On the other hand, the Chihuahua tends to have a longer lifespan of 14 to 16 years.
However, both parent breeds are susceptible to specific health problems they may pass on to their mixed offspring. Hence, even if the Chi Dane Dane is generally a healthy hybrid, it may still be at risk of acquiring diseases.
Below are the possible health issues a Chihuahua Great Dane mix may develop:
- Rheumatism: Chihuahuas are prone to rheumatism, so, likely, the Chihuahua Great Dane mix may also acquire this. Rheumatism is an autoimmune disease that targets the joints of affected dogs. Symptoms may include lameness and swelling of lymph nodes.
- Eye Problems: Chihuahuas are susceptible to keratoconjunctivitis, also known as dry eyes, which can cause discomfort and irritation if left untreated. The Chi Dane Dane may also inherit other eye issues from their parent breeds, such as glaucoma and cataracts.
- Cardiovascular Diseases: Great Danes are at risk of a severe and potentially fatal condition known as dilated cardiomyopathy. This condition causes the heart muscles to enlarge and weaken, making it difficult for the heart to pump blood efficiently. This could also be a health issue for the Chihuahua Great Dane mix.
If pet owners know the signs and symptoms of health conditions that the Chi Dane Dane may inherit, they can detect and treat them early. This can improve the dog’s quality of life and increase its lifespan.
Additionally, preventative measures such as regular veterinary checkups, a healthy diet, and exercise routines can minimize complications.
How to Take Care of Your Chi Dane Dane
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to caring for a Great Dane Chihuahua mix, but you can still use techniques that work for other dog breeds.
Consulting with veterinarians can be beneficial in determining the proper care for your Chi Dane Dane. As this mixed breed is relatively new, there are still limited established methods for their care.
If you own this hybrid or planning to buy one, below are some tips that can help you:
Food and Diet
Assuming that your Chi Dane Dane pup is of medium size, it may require anywhere from 25 to 30 calories per pound on a typical day.
Maintaining a healthy weight for the pup is essential, and overfeeding should be avoided to prevent obesity.
In this situation, it would be best to consult a veterinarian for guidance on planning the pup’s diet. They can provide necessary recommendations to ensure the dog stays healthy.
Cleaning and Grooming
The Great Dane Chihuahua mix breed has less complex fur on its body, making it relatively easy to clean and groom. As a result, they have moderate maintenance costs.
The only daily practice required for these mixed breeds is brushing their hair. They should be bathed when necessary, and basic hygiene practices such as nail trimming and teeth brushing should not be overlooked.
Training and Exercise
The amount of exercise needed for a Great Dane Chihuahua mix depends on size and personality. Therefore, evaluating their final size and adjusting the time spent on stimulating activities is essential.
This mix typically requires only 20 to 30 minutes of exercise per day. Additionally, taking them for walks twice a day can help keep them fit and healthy.
Meanwhile, training a Chi Dane Dane isn’t difficult. Due to the inherited Great Dane genes, this designer dog is calm and patient during training.
However, if the mix inherits specific genes from its Chihuahua parent, it may exhibit some stubborn behavior.
Although the Chihuahua breed is small, they are known for their stubbornness which is attributed to their big personality. They always strive to appear energetic and capable of keeping up with larger dogs.
How Much Does a Great Dane Chihuahua Mix Cost? Puppy Prices & Expenses
Since Great Dane Chihuahua mixes are produced through artificial insemination, their price might be higher than other crossbreeds. Typically, this designer dog costs between $800 and $2,000.
Aside from this cost, you should also consider other expenses. This will include food, medical needs, and other necessary supplies for your dog.
Here are some of the initial expenses associated with owning a Chi Dane Dane puppy:
|Type of Expense||Cost|
|Food and Treats||$70 – $110|
|Bowls||$10 – $30|
|Toys||$30 – $60|
|Beds||$40 – $200|
|Collars and Leashes||$15 – $50|
|Crates and Carriers||$50 – $370|
|Grooming Essentials||$50 – $160|
|Initial Vet Visits||$100 – $500|
|Initial Vaccine Shots||$50 – $200|
|Deworming, Flea, and Tick Medications||$40 – $300|
|Neutering or Spaying||$50 – $500|
|Microchipping||$40 – $60|
|Dog License||$10 – $20|
|Other Essentials||$20 – $50|
|Total Initial Cost||$505 – $2,710|
While pet insurance is not on the list, getting one is important. For an adult dog, pet insurance costs range from $38 to $56 monthly. This will reduce the overall veterinary expenses you might incur if your pet gets injured or ill.
Places to Find Great Dane Chihuahua Mix Puppies for Sale and Adoption
Great Dane Chihuahua mixes are rare crossbreeds, so finding reputable breeders that produce them might be challenging. With the cost of artificial insemination, most breeders likely opt to crossbreed other dogs.
Still, there are breeders where you can find Chi Dane Dane mixes. Just make sure that you are reaching out to reputable breeders.
Below are where you can find breeders of Great Dane Chihuahua puppies:
- AKC Marketplace – The AKC marketplace is one of the most reputable websites where you can find trustworthy breeders. Note that the website is only posting purebred dogs. But if you plan to purchase a Chi Dane Dane, you can contact either Chihuahua or Great Dane breeders, who may potentially crossbreed this dog.
- Greenfield Puppies – This website has an extensive database of reputable breeders, including those specializing in Great Dane mixes. They provide a lot of information about each breeder and their puppies so that you can make an informed decision.
- Lancaster Puppies – This is another website with many reputable breeders listed. They have a section dedicated to Chihuahua mix puppies for sale, and you can search by location to find breeders near you.
If buying one is costly, you can check out adoption centers and rescue organizations. Here is where you can likely adopt a Chi Dane Dane:
- Paws Crossed Dog Rescue – This rescue organization is based in Florida and takes in dogs of all breeds and sizes. They have a network of foster homes and work to find permanent homes for needy dogs.
- Chihuahua & Small Dog Rescue – This rescue organization in California specializes in rescuing small dogs, including Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes. They may be able to help if you are looking for a Great Dane Chihuahua mix in the area.
- Great Dane Friends of Ruff Love – This North Carolina-based organization rescues Great Danes and Great Dane mixes from high-kill shelters and provides them with medical care, foster homes, and eventually forever homes.
To ensure you get a healthy furry friend, find a trustworthy breeder who will provide you with all the information you need about your new pet.
Meanwhile, check with rescue organizations before adopting or fostering a pet. They may have specific requirements like a home visit or references.
Pros and Cons of Owning a Chi Dane Dane
Before buying or adopting a Chihuahua Great Dane mix, you must know its advantages and disadvantages.
Since this is a relatively new hybrid, only a few things are known about it. So before deciding, you must consider the pros and cons carefully.
Listed below are the pros of having this mix:
- This mix is unique. One of the advantages of having a Great Dane Chihuahua is that it will be a distinctive breed. As this hybrid is uncommon, your dog will likely draw attention and stand out from the crowd.
- They are excellent family pets. Many Great Dane Chihuahua mixes inherit the patient and affectionate traits of the Great Dane and Chihuahua breeds, making them great pets for adults and children. While they can adapt well to most families, they tend to thrive in more active households.
- This mix is very low maintenance. Great Dane Chihuahua mixes have a distinct coat that is typically short and neat in appearance. This unique coat requires minimal grooming and sheds very little, making it an excellent option for pet owners who prefer a low-maintenance dog.
Meanwhile, the following are the cons associated with the hybrid:
- They are very hard to find. Great Dane Chihuahua mixes are rare, and only a few breeders are working to develop them. One reason is that they were initially bred through artificial insemination, requiring specialized knowledge and techniques.
- They tend to be very expensive. The process of breeding Great Dane and Chihuahua can be more expensive due to artificial insemination and C-sections, as both can increase the cost of breeding. Therefore, this mix may be more costly to purchase than other breeds.
- They are prone to several health issues. Great Dane Chihuahua mixes can be susceptible to specific health issues. Considering the breeding process and size differences of the parent breeds, there is a huge possibility that their offspring may develop congenital problems.
Take note of these pros and cons if you plan to have a Chi Dane Danes. While they are unique and great family pets, they tend to be expensive and can have health issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Great Dane Chihuahua Mixes Shed?
Great Danes are known to shed moderately, while Chihuahuas are considered moderate to heavy shedders.
This means the amount of shedding a Great Dane Chihuahua mix will experience can vary depending on their inherited traits.
Typically, they have minimal shedding due to their single coat. In addition, grooming them isn’t overly taxing since they don’t have long hair.
Are Great Dane Chihuahua Mixes Hypoallergenic?
Both Great Danes and Chihuahuas are not hypoallergenic breeds. Hence, their mixed offspring, the Chi Dane Dane, is also not hypoallergenic.
Note that no dog breed is completely hypoallergenic, as all dogs produce some allergens. The allergens are found in a dog’s skin cells, saliva, and urine and can be spread through shedding and dander.
If you have allergies or asthma and want a Great Dane Chihuahua mix, spend time with the dog first to see if you react to their dander before bringing them home.
The Chi Dane Dane is an interesting and unique hybrid breed that combines the traits of two very different dogs. However, owning one comes with several challenges.
They are produced through artificial insemination, so finding reputable breeders might be challenging. And since they are relatively uncommon, they tend to be in the expensive price range.
Despite that, this hybrid can make a great companion for the right owner who understands their needs and is willing to provide them with the proper care and attention.
If you have further questions about the Great Dane Chihuahua mix, comment below!