There are so many great female wolf names, and choosing one can be daunting. After all, wolf names are supposed to be impressive and denote qualities that will make your animal companion stand out from the pack.
Choosing a name that reflects a special trait of the particular wolf is a great start to further establish your relationship with your pet. However, this is just one of the few ways to pick a memorable female wolf name.
With our list of appealing wolf names, you can certainly find one that sticks. Below are different categories of more than 400 female wolf names that you can take into account in choosing your wolf’s name.
55 Most Popular Female Wolf Names
Popular female wolf names are those that you often see and hear everywhere. However, while it can be more common, these names are just equally appealing. People still choose these names for this reason.
Below are 55 popular female wolf names you might have come across a few times before:
Popular female wolf names are appealing. However, there can be a disadvantage. It is likely that other wolves, dogs, and pets could already be sharing the same moniker.
98 Best Female Wolf Names
Your female wolf is treated in a similar manner as a human. It is imperative that she receives the best in all aspects. That is why some people prefer to spend some time researching and brainstorming names for female wolves.
To narrow down your options, here are the best female wolf names you can choose from:
As shown above, the options are numerous when it comes to picking the best female wolf names. However, before choosing a name, consider reading the rest of the article to guide you in making the perfect choice.
37 Cute Female Wolf Names
If you are looking for something sweet and fuzzy to call your female wolf, you can go for cute names. Cute monikers can give your wolf an adorable name you can feel good about.
There are quite a few names on this list, and you will have no problem finding something you love. Following are 37 of the most interesting and cute female wolf names:
- Wolf or Wolfie
Nowadays, using charming names for female wolves has become a trend. It would be interesting to experiment with the names listed above and observe if your wolf would like them.
29 Cool Female Wolf Names
The wolf is cold-blooded and fierce by nature. However, she can still have some special qualities and warm feelings for you. If you have a cool female wolf and want to give her a cool name, this section is perfect for you.
Here are some more cool female wolf names that you can consider:
30 Funny Female Wolf Names
If your wolf is funny, she will surely love a name that is witty. Not only will you get creative in naming her, but others can also have a good laugh as well upon hearing her name.
Do you want to tickle everyone’s funny bone? These funny female wolf names are guaranteed to do the job:
- Chewie / Chewy
- Little Red
- Snoop / Snoopy
- Wolfman Jack
In addition to comical titles, an option is to watch your wolf’s behavior and give it a name reflective of its actions. This approach could create an inside reference that holds significance and remains memorable over time.
57 Most Unique Female Wolf Names
Nothing can be more unique than creating a name for your wolf. However, you can also get some inspiration from some great female wolf names you already know.
You are not alone if you think you don’t have an original moniker for your wolf yet. That’s why this section has a list of the most unique female names, so you can freely pick one for her:
- Duchess / Dutchess
- Ivailo / Ivaylo
It is crucial to have a distinct name for your wolf to draw its attention and serve as a reminder of your special bond.
Likewise, it is important for the name to be clear enough to your wolf so she can feel at ease with her own identity.
43 Female Names That Mean Wolf
You don’t have to look far to find a name for your wolf. There are a lot of female as well as gender-neutral names that mean “wolf” that will suit them.
Moreover, these names are so unique that they are also used as human baby names. These 43 appealing female name suggestions might have come from different origins, but they all carry the “wolf” meaning.
- Accalia – She-wolf (Latin)
- Adalwulfa – Noble Wolf (Greek)
- Agwang – Wolf (African)
- Arnulfa – Wolf (Spanish)
- Ashina – She-wolf (Arabic / Muslim)
- Beorhtwulf – To have the light and brightness of the wolf (Old English)
- Bighana – Wolf (Central Indian)
- Blevine – A child who is like a wolf cub (German)
- Botolphe – Wolf (German)
- Cathwulf – A woman pure as a wolf (Old English)
- Channing – Young Wolf (Old French / English)
- Daciana – Wolf (Romanian)
- Due – Wolf Power (German)
- Faoiltiama – Wolf Lady (Irish)
- Guadalupe – Wolf Valley (Mexican / Arabic)
- Larentia – She-wolf (Latin)
- Louve – Female Wolf (Norman / Scottish / English)
- Loveta – Young Wolf (French)
- Lowella – Young Wolf (Norman-French / Old English / Latin)
- Lupa – She-wolf (Italian / Latin)
- Lupe – From the River of the Wolf (Spanish)
- Luperca – She-wolf (Latin)
- Lupita – River of the Wolf (Spanish)
- Lyall – Wolf (Norse)
- Lycaconia – She-wolf (Israel)
- Mingan – Gray Wolf (Native American)
- Minsi – Wolf Leader
- Orfilia – Female Wolf (German)
- Otsana – She-wolf (Basque)
- Randelle – Wolf Shield (Norse)
- Rica – Power of the Wolf (Spanish)
- Rieka – Wolf Queen (Old German)
- Rollin – Famous Wolf (English)
- Rudee / Rudi / Rudie / Rudolpha – Famous Wolf (American / German)
- Rudina – Legendary Wolf (German)
- Sassaba – The Wolf (Native American)
- Tala – Stalking Wolf (Native American)
- Tamaska – Mighty Wolf (Native American)
- Udolf – Wealthy Wolf (Old English)
- Ulva- Wolf (Old German)
- Velvela – Wolf (Jewish)
- Warg – Wolf (Norse)
- Ylfa – A Female Wolf (Icelandic / Old Norse)
Naming your wolf after its own kind is nothing short of honoring them. These names hold such powerful meanings that even humans choose to give them to their babies.
32 Female Names From Famous Wolves
Famous wolves from movies, video games, TV shows, and books can also be sources for wolf name ideas. You might have seen some of these names in the beginning sections of the article due to their popularity.
Below are female names inspired by famous wolves from books and different types of media industries:
- Ookami – Hotch Potch (Video Game)
- Aela – Skyrim (Video Game)
- Aleu – Balto (Movie)
- Amaterasu – Okami (Video Game)
- Angeline – Never Cry Wolf (Book by Farley Mowat)
- Blue – Wolf’s Rain (Anime)
- Cami – Animal Boxing (Video Game)
- Daenerys – Game of Thrones (TV Show)
- Electrike – Pokemon (Anime)
- Eve – The Vampire Diaries (TV Show)
- Frostfur – The Immortals (Book by Tamora Pierce)
- Holo – Spice and Wolf (Book by Isuna Hasekura)
- Jenna – Balto (Movie)
- Keelin – The Vampire Diaries (TV Show)
- Lady – Game of Thrones (TV Show)
- Larka – The Sight (Book by David Clement-Davies)
- Leah – The Twilight Saga (Movie Series)
- Lycanroc – Pokemon (Anime)
- Manectric – Pokemon (Anime)
- Marta – Wolf: The Journey Home (Book by ‘Asta Bowen)
- Mightyena – Pokemon (Anime)
- Moro – Princess Mononoke (Movie)
- Nitka – Shasta of the Wolves (Book by Olaf Baker)
- Nymeria – Game of Thrones (TV Show)
- Okami – Okami (Video Game)
- Poochenya – Pokemon (Anime)
- Raksha – The Jungle Book (Movie)
- Rockruff – Pokemon (Anime)
- Ruby – Once Upon A Time (TV Show)
- Shiranua – Okami (Video Game)
- Sierra – Legend of Mana (Video Game)
- Terra – Legend of Legaia (Video Game)
Aside from famous wolves, you can also name your wolf after famous people, such as celebrities and significant figures in history. You can also include influential persons in your life.
50 Other Meaningful Female Wolf Names
If you don’t want to be limited to only cute or cool wolf names, you can go for more meaningful wolf names and pick one that speaks to you the most. A meaningful wolf name can speak volumes and make a wolf feel special.
Here are meaningful female names you can proudly call on your wolf:
- Adira – Strong / Noble (Hebrew)
- Aiyana – Eternal Blossom (American English)
- Akela – Happy (Hebrew)
- Alaska – Great Land (English)
- Astrid – Divinely Beautiful (Scandinavian)
- Aurora – Dawn (Latin)
- Ayame – Iris (Japanese)
- Belladonna – Beautiful Lady (Italian)
- Cailean – Dove (Gaelic)
- Calantha – Beautiful Flower (Greek)
- Cana – Reedy (Latin)
- Dakota – The Allies (Native American)
- Daphne – Laurel Tree (Greek)
- Electra – Shining (Greek)
- Freya – Noble Lady (Norse)
- Ivy – Faithfulness (English)
- Kasper – Treasurer (Persian)
- Kodiak – Island (Russian)
- Leah – Weary (Hebrew)
- Lexi – Defending Men (Greek)
- Lexis – Defender (Greek)
- Lila – Night (Arabic)
- Logan – Hollow (Gaelic)
- Luna – Moon (Latin)
- Maeve – Intoxicating (Irish)
- Maverick – Dissenter (English)
- Mitsu- Bear (Native American)
- Moon – Letters (Korean)
- Nadia – Hope (Russian)
- Nala – Loved (African)
- Nanook – Polar bear (Native American)
- Nova – New (Latin)
- Nyla – Winner (Arabic)
- Opal – A precious gem (Sanskrit)
- Penelope – Weaver (Greek)
- Quillan – Cub (Irish)
- Raksha – To guard (Sanskrit)
- Randi – Counsel (Germanic)
- Rowena – Fair / White (Anglo-Saxon)
- Selene – Moon (Greek)
- Shika – Excellent intention (Japanese)
- Suki – To like (Japanese)
- Tahlia – Dewdrops (Arabic)
- Tala – Christ’s birthday (Italian)
- Tasha – Christ’s birthday (Latin)
- Teva – Nature (Hebrew)
- Ulrika – Prosperity / Fortune / Power (German)
- Ursula – Little Bear (Latin)
- Zelda – Gray Warrior (Germanic)
- Zoey – Life (Greek)
The list suggests different terms with impactful meanings across different languages. If you see one on the list or think of one that would fit your wolf, you might have just the perfect name to give her.
What Makes the Best Female Wolf Name?
The best female wolf name is one that you have created or chosen for your wolf. However, with the overwhelming amount of resources out there, you might be wondering where you should start.
As you read on, you will learn how you can easily navigate through this process. These are some factors to consider in picking out the best name you could give to your wolf:
- The female wolf’s personality: This is the first thing to consider when naming your wolf. How does the wolf pup behave? Naming a wolf after its character is another way to tell its story.
- A moment in your life: Like your new wolf, monumental events in life are just as important. Celebrate a memory by naming it after your wolf. It will make this event more significant as you give it a whole new meaning.
- Something you can relate to: It could be any of your favorite things. Whether it is your favorite food, book, or place, one would certainly fit to name a female wolf. You can also name your wolf after your favorite person, real or not.
- Creativity: Perhaps you can create a name for your wolf. You can combine two names as well if you can’t decide on just one. But whatever name you come up with, always factor in how your wolf will respond to it.
You may also find a name generator helpful in naming your wolf. However, ultimately, only you will be able to tell when a name best matches your wolf.
Tips for Naming Your Female Wolf
While it is your decision to choose a name to call your wolf, it still depends on how the wolf responds to it. Learning their name is also crucial for wolves, much like any animal.
For this reason, we came up with a list of pointers you could keep in mind to help your wolf pick up on the name you chose for her:
- Observe your female wolf. There is a wide range of names you can come up with, from distinct physical features to characters. What is your female wolf’s coat or eye color? Does it have a unique mark or pattern? Another source of name ideas is your wolf’s personality.
- Test nicknames. If you happen to have a few name ideas and can’t choose one, try calling them different names at first. The nickname test will also work on longer names. Pick the one that your wolf will respond to more.
- Choose a name your female wolf can easily recognize. Avoid giving your wolf a name that may cause confusion. Keeping its name short will easily get an animal’s attention. As a result, the wolf can quickly learn its name. Meanwhile, when renaming an adopted wolf, pick one that sounds like its current name.
- Focus on one to two-syllable names. In relation to the previous tip, animals respond well to two-syllable and vowel-ending names. The presence of hard consonants (p, k, and d) is also effective. On the other hand, overly long names can be perplexing to your wolf.
- Steer clear of names that sound like commands. Although vowel-ending names are recommended, avoid ones ending in “o” as they may sound like the basic command “no.” The same rule applies to names that could sound like “stay”, “sit”, and other commands. Giving a wolf such names often leads to confusion.
- Pick a name you can confidently say in public. While you can get creative in naming your wolf, you have to choose wisely as well. Reconsider controversial names and age-limited ones such as Kitten. Also, stick to the name you picked for your wolf and ensure you won’t decide against it after a couple of months.
As you may have noticed, most tips above center on a wolf’s acknowledgment of its name. If you have already chosen a moniker that doesn’t align with these tips, then you might have to look for another one.
Naming a wolf is a two-way street. It is one of the first steps in building a lasting relationship with your wolf. In order to make it work, you should consider your wolf’s reaction to its name as well.
With many options available, you can come up with the best, most unique, funny, or cool name for your wolf pup. More importantly, knowing the do’s and don’ts makes wolf name-picking more fun than daunting.
Would you name your wolf after one of our suggested female wolf names? Or would you rather create a more unique one? Let us know in the comments below.