French Bulldogs have been bred for hundreds of years, but there’s one color you may find eye-catching — the black and white French Bulldog. This unique pup is known for its strength, intelligence, and good looks.
People are so used to seeing French Bulldogs in their standard color. However, these dogs also come in other fur colors due to different color genes.
To get acquainted with the fabulous black and white French Bulldog, read further! This article will cover this dog’s unique personality and traits, so you’ll know whether a French Bulldog is an excellent match for you.
What Is a Black and White French Bulldog?
A black and white French Bulldog or “Frenchie” is basically a regular French Bulldog but with a black and white fur color. Though this coat color variant is not recognized as one of the standard colors, it is pretty appealing to dog lovers, making it famous worldwide.
Black and white Frenchies are not a separate breed from the typical fawn French Bulldog but are considered a color variation. Therefore, they also share the same history.
All French Bulldogs, including black and white dogs, were originally developed in the 19th century by English breeders who bred them down to a smaller size.
The earliest photographs of French Bulldogs show them in a variety of coat colors and patterns, including black and white fur.
Although black and white is not recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC) as an official coat color, it still has all of the charms associated with every other color variation of this breed.
Are Black and White French Bulldogs Rare?
Black and white Frenchies are not rare, but they are not as common as the other colors of French Bulldogs, such as the fawn variant, because they are considered an undesirable color in many countries and show rings.
Despite that, black and white Frenchies are actually one of the most sought-after colors, and it’s not hard to see why. They have a unique look that makes them stand out in any crowd.
Furthermore, black and white is a very striking color combination. It’s also more challenging to achieve in French Bulldogs than in other colors, which is probably why it’s so popular with breeders and buyers alike.
Black and White French Bulldog Appearance
Black and white French Bulldogs are a sight to behold. They have a unique, elegant, playful appearance, and a mixture of black and white fur adds to their distinctive look.
The black-and-white color pattern is most often found on the head and face. The muzzle is usually black with a lighter-colored tip, while the nose may be pink or brownish in color.
The fur on this breed is short, but not too short to prevent them from being comfortable in any weather condition.
The ears are erect and round at the tip, which gives them an adorable appearance. The eyes are dark brown or black in color.
Black and white French Bulldogs stand at a range of 11 to 12 inches tall with a weight of under 28 pounds, just like the other Frenchies. However, how much you feed them can affect their weight and size.
Black and White French Bulldog Color Genetics
Black and white French Bulldogs feature a black coat with white markings, which can be more prominent on the dog’s coat depending on its inherited genes.
The piebald gene or S locus gene determines whether or not a dog will have white fur or markings in black and white Frenchies. However, there are modifier genes that can change the amount of white fur.
Some black and white French Bulldogs have extremely pale fur when they have a stronger piebald gene, making them appear almost completely white.
Meanwhile, others with a less extreme piebald gene may only show minimal white markings. Overall, this variation in color depends on the genes they inherit from their parents.
Black and White French Bulldog Temperament and Personality
The black and white French Bulldog is a breed with a huge personality. They are affectionate, playful, and incredibly loyal to their family. It is a breed that is known for its good nature and sweet disposition.
This dog is born with a natural tendency to be curious, alert, and friendly toward people and other animals.
They love being around children and families and will often seek out the company of humans in order to make them feel loved and safe.
Moreover, it is an active breed that loves to play outside or run around inside its home. They are quick learners, so training them should not take much time and effort.
Furthermore, this breed makes an excellent companion animal for people who live in apartments or smaller homes because they don’t require much space to be happy.
Check out this adorable video of a black and white Frenchie showing some attitude and playfulness:
Black and White French Bulldog Lifespan and Health Issues
Black and white French Bulldogs have a life expectancy of 10 to 12 years. However, some may live longer or shorter lives than others due to various factors.
These dogs are prone to developing health issues that can shorten their lifespan. But if you take care of your pups and take them to the vet regularly, you can help them live a long, healthy life.
Here is a list of health conditions black and white French Bulldog puppies are prone to having:
- Hip Dysplasia: Hip dysplasia is a condition in which the hip joint does not develop properly and becomes painful as the dog ages. It can also decrease mobility and deteriorate posture.
- Hermivertebrae: Hermivertebrae is characterized by a dog’s spinal column twisting and forming a corkscrew. The condition can cause neurological issues, pain, weakness, and loss of bladder control. This disease can be managed by rest, anti-inflammatory medicines, and surgery.
- Patellar Luxation: Patellar luxation is a common health problem in small dogs and is characterized by misalignment of the thigh bone, knee cap, and calf. This condition can cause an abnormal style of walking and can be present at birth. Surgery is required to fix this inborn disease.
As long as you pay attention to your black and white Frenchie, you will be able to avoid these common health issues.
Acquiring your puppies from a reputable breeder, keeping them on a healthy diet, exercising them regularly, and ensuring that they have healthy genes will also help ensure longer lives.
How Much Does a Black and White French Bulldog Cost? Puppy Prices & Expenses
The average cost for a black and white French Bulldog puppy from a reputable breeder is around $1,500 to $3,000, but they can cost up to $4,500 to $6,000 depending on the bloodline.
If you want a more affordable way to own a black and white French Bulldog, consider adopting one. The adoption fee for rescued Frenchies is around $100 to $800, depending on the dog’s health and age.
Besides the initial purchase, you will also need to provide your puppy with essential items to transition and settle into a permanent home.
Here is a list of initial expenses in owning a black and white French Bulldog puppy:
|Type of Expense||Cost|
|Food and Treats||$30 – $110|
|Bowls||$10 – $30|
|Toys||$20 – $60|
|Beds||$30 – $200|
|Collars and Leashes||$15 – $50|
|Crates and Carriers||$30 – $370|
|Grooming Essentials||$50 – $160|
|Initial Vet Visits||$100 – $500|
|Initial Vaccine Shots||$50 – $300|
|Deworming, Flea, and Tick Medications||$40 – $300|
|Neutering or Spaying||$50 – $500|
|Microchipping||$40 – $60|
|Dog License||$10 – $20|
|Other Essentials||$20 – $50|
|Total Initial Cost||$495 – $2,470|
The basic necessities for your pet are readily available at pet stores, so do not worry about sourcing them. With medical and vet expenses on the rise, we might as well invest in prevention early on to save money in the future.
Places to Find Black and White French Bulldog Puppies for Sale and Adoption
Black and white French Bulldogs are common worldwide, making them easy to adopt or purchase.
However, as responsible pet owners, it is strongly advised never to buy a puppy from backyard breeders or puppy mills because of their inhumane breeding practices.
Here is a list of reputable breeders that offers a black and white French Bulldog puppy:
- SafroNova’s Royal Fenchies Inc. – This breeder has been breeding all kinds of French Bulldogs, including black and white Frenchies, for over 11 years already. Their puppies are never caged and are all well-mannered, complete with health certificates, up-to-date shots, and microchips. They also offer lifetime support for their clients.
- Vixbull French Bulldogs – Vixbull French Bulldogs is the ultimate source for those seeking a high-quality black and white French Bulldog in Louisiana and surrounding areas. Upon release to new families, they ensure that each puppy has sound health and excellent temperament.
- Tom Kings Kennel – Tom Kings Kennel is a premium quality French Bulldog breeder with superior puppy raising and care for over 12 weeks. Their black and white French Bulldog puppies are raised in a loving home environment, and they offer lifelong health guarantees and continuous support.
Meanwhile, if you prefer to adopt a black and white Frenchie puppy, here is a list of rescues and shelters that may be able to help you:
- French Bulldog Rescue Network – This volunteer-based organization rescues, rehabilitates, and rehomes all types of French Bulldogs in need, including black and white Frenchies. They also nurture and foster these dogs as well as provide education and training.
- Short Mugs Rescue Squad – This organization is based in Texas and they rescue, rehabilitate, and rehome French Bulldogs and are dedicated to their health and well-being. Aside from black and white Frenchies, they also rescue other brachycephalic breeds on a case-to-case basis.
- French Bulldog Village – This rescue group comprises volunteers from all over the United States. They work to advance awareness and knowledge of the responsible acquisition and ownership of the French Bulldog breed, in addition to rescuing, rehabilitating, and rehoming black and white and all other types of French Bulldogs.
For more options, head over to Reddit and check out some threads dedicated to this Frenchie variety. You may also want to use hashtags on Instagram and Facebook to locate nearby breeders and rescues.
Dog Name Ideas for Black and White French Bulldog Puppies
Black and white French Bulldogs are charming, energetic pets. Most owners choose names that reflect their pet’s personality.
If you’re having trouble finding one that fits your dog, this section has some name suggestions you might like.
Here are some name ideas for your black-and-white Frenchie:
Naming a pet is no easy task. Aside from the names above, one quick tip we can share is finding different inspirations for your pet’s name. It could be your favorite thing in the world or even your favorite food.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is the Rarest French Bulldog Color?
The rarest French Bulldog color is the blue merle. This beautiful coloration looks like it has been dipped in indigo paint and streaked with a few splotches of white.
Do Black and White French Bulldogs Shed a Lot?
Black and white French Bulldogs are not heavy shedders. They don’t have high-maintenance coats, and they only need to be brushed every few days. However, they still need regular grooming to keep their coats healthy.
Are Black and White French Bulldogs Hypoallergenic?
Black and white French Bulldogs are not hypoallergenic. While they are less likely to cause allergic reactions, there are no breeds that can be considered completely hypoallergenic.
Black and white French Bulldogs are unique, elegant, and absolutely stunning. They have a regal demeanor, which makes them the perfect companion for any lifestyle.
They are playful, easy to train, and have a very good disposition. They are also quite intelligent and can learn tricks quickly. They are also known for being great family pets because they love being around children so much.
Overall, a black and white French Bulldog is a great option for someone who is looking for an affectionate dog that will be loyal to them.
In this article, everything you need to know about black and white French Bulldogs has been covered. Let us know what you think about this unique Frenchie variant in the comments!!