It’s extremely important to understand the cost of owning a teacup Yorkie before committing to bringing one into your home. Given their adorable size and appearance, it is unsurprising that teacup Yorkies can be quite pricey.
The costs associated with owning a teacup Yorkie, such as food, grooming, veterinary care, training, and other basic necessities, can add up quickly, putting off some prospective owners.
This article will help you gain an understanding of the factors that contribute to the costs of owning a teacup Yorkie so that you can plan ahead financially. Read on if you want to own one of these cute dogs!
How Much Does a Teacup Yorkie Puppy Cost?
A Teacup Yorkie puppy from a reputable breeder can cost anywhere between $1,000 to $3,000. On the other hand, the price for a Teacup Yorkie from a champion bloodline can easily escalate to $5,000. Factors influencing the price include the breeder’s location and reputation, along with the puppy’s age and quality.
Prices for teacup Yorkies tend to be higher than standard Yorkies because of their smaller stature and increasing demand.
While it is true that teacup Yorkies can be rather pricey, you shouldn’t skimp on your due diligence or deal with sketchy breeders just to save a few bucks.
As a breeder of Yorkies, I never attempted to breed teacup Yorkies due to the difficulty of breeding a much smaller version of an already tiny breed. Further, due to its extremely small size, the teacup Yorkie is already at risk for several major health problems.
This makes it even more crucial that you only get one of these puppies from reputable breeders who take extra measures to guarantee their health. This also justifies the higher price of these more delicate puppies. The same principle is true for the cost of most teacup versions of dogs.
How Much Does It Cost to Adopt a Teacup Yorkie From a Shelter?
Depending on the organization, the adoption fee for a teacup Yorkie could range anywhere from $250 to $700. Expenses associated with the dog’s upkeep are factored into the total price.
Most adoption fees will cover basic medical care, such as a checkup and vaccinations, as well as more extensive care, including spaying or neutering and behavioral assessment.
When you adopt a pet from a shelter or rescue, you are not only helping them in their effort to save and care for animals in need, but you also save a significant amount of money in the process.
First-Time Expenses of Teacup Yorkie Ownership
Now that you know how much a teacup Yorkie costs, the next important step is to determine the cost of maintaining this dog.
Prospective owners should consider the initial cost of ownership, which includes things like high-quality dog food, vet bills, and other essentials.
If you’re thinking about getting a teacup Yorkshire Terrier, here are some of the initial expenses you’ll have to account for:
- Food and Treats: Some dog breeders will give you free dog food when you purchase a dog from them. However, you must still get your supplies ready in advance. Due to the small size of teacup Yorkies, you should expect to spend between $30 and $80 on their food and treats.
- Bowls: It’s tempting to choose the cheapest option, but note that high-quality stainless steel food and water bowls will last far longer. You should also provide your teacup Yorkie with a bowl proportional to its size. Prices for the smaller bowls range from $10 to $30.
- Toys: To keep your teacup Yorkie occupied when you can’t play with them, it’s important to give them toys. A high-quality toy for your puppy can be purchased for around $20 to $30.
- Beds: The first step in guaranteeing that your tiny Yorkie has a pleasant place to sleep every night is to pick out a high-quality dog bed. Despite their small size, you can give them a larger bed so that they have more room. It costs anywhere from $30 to $200 for a good quality teacup Yorkie bed.
- Collars and Leashes: When picking up your new puppy, make sure you have a collar and leash ready for it. This is especially useful for training your teacup Yorkie. You can find high-quality collars and leashes for $15 to $50.
- Crates and Carriers: A crate or carrier can provide a safe haven for your dog when you’re not around. Budget between $30 and $200 for a small crate that will work for travel and crate training with your teacup Yorkie.
- Grooming Essentials: Although their long, silky coats don’t shed much, teacup Yorkies still need to be brushed frequently and given an occasional bath to keep them looking their best. To ensure their comfort, they would also need to have their nails trimmed and ears cleaned regularly. A dog’s grooming kit can cost anywhere from $50 to $150, depending on the quality.
- Initial Vet Visits: It’s recommended to take your new teacup Yorkie to the vet within the first month of adoption or purchase. Doing so will ensure that your puppy is in excellent condition. Costs for veterinarian tests and consultations can range anywhere from $100 to $500, depending on your location.
- Initial Vaccine Shots: While most breeders would have started the required vaccinations for their dogs before handover, it is your duty as the new owner to finish the series of immunizations. Vaccination costs for a teacup Yorkie can run anywhere from $50 to $300.
- Deworming, Flea, and Tick Medications: Teacup Yorkies are a prime host for infectious skin parasites due to their lengthy coats. Preventative medications, including deworming, flea, and tick treatments, are essential to avoiding a parasite infestation. These could cost anywhere from $40 to $300.
- Neutering or Spaying: While spaying or neutering your teacup Yorkie is an entirely optional procedure, veterinarians strongly advise having it done, particularly if you don’t plan on breeding your dog. It has been shown that there are many health advantages to these procedures. Spaying or neutering will cost you between $50 and $500.
- Microchipping: A microchip is a form of permanent identification that can greatly improve the chances that your teacup Yorkie will be returned to you if it ever gets lost. Microchipping your dog at any local vet clinic will cost you between $40 and $60.
- Dog License: It’s a good idea to have your teacup Yorkie licensed. If your dog ever gets lost, the local animal control authority can confirm its identity and return it to you without you having to prove your ownership. It costs $10 to $20 to get this additional security.
- Other Essentials: Other items not already mentioned may be required for your new teacup Yorkie. Vitamins, poop bags, inducers, and accessories are some examples of these items. Costs can range from $20 to $50, depending on your needs.
Here is an overview of the upfront costs of owning a teacup Yorkie:
|Type of Expense||Cost|
|Food and Treats||$30 – $80|
|Bowls||$10 – $30|
|Toys||$20 – $30|
|Beds||$30 – $200|
|Collars and Leashes||$15 – $50|
|Crates and Carriers||$30 – $200|
|Grooming Essentials||$50 – $150|
|Initial Vet Visits||$100 – $500|
|Initial Vaccine Shots||$50 – $300|
|Deworming, Flea, and Tick Medications||$40 – $300|
|Neutering or Spaying||$50 – $500|
|Microchipping||$40 – $60|
|Dog License||$10 – $20|
|Other Essentials||$20 – $50|
|Total Initial Cost||$495 – $2,470|
While the prices listed above may seem excessive, remember that many of these purchases are one-time only. The joys of owning a teacup Yorkie will last a lifetime once you’ve stocked up on the essentials for your new puppy.
Furthermore, the figures provided are only estimates. The final cost may vary depending on how much you’re willing to spend.
Annual Cost of Owning a Teacup Yorkie
The annual costs of caring for a teacup Yorkie should be considered before deciding to add one to your family.
Your ability to give the best possible care for your teacup Yorkie throughout its life will depend on your planning and budgeting. Knowing what to expect in terms of expenses is the first step.
Below is a table detailing the average annual costs associated with owning a teacup Yorkshire Terrier:
|Type of Expense||Yearly Estimate|
|Food and Treats||$240 – $800|
|Routine Veterinary Care||$200 – $600|
|Deworming, Flea, and Tick Medications||$150 – $400|
|Vaccinations||$100 – $250|
|Grooming Essentials||$100 – $300|
|Leashes and Collars||$20 – $40|
|Beds and Crates||$100 – $400|
|Toys||$25 – $100|
|Pet Insurance||$500 – $600|
|Other Essentials||$30 – $50|
|Yearly Total||$1,465 – $3,540|
|Average Monthly Cost||$122 – $295|
You can see that the yearly expenses associated with a teacup Yorkie are quite significant.
For the sake of your teacup Yorkie’s overall well-being, you should set aside money for everything from veterinary checkups and immunizations to grooming, pet insurance, and everyday needs.
Investing in the happiness, health, and proper care of your dog can pave the way for a wonderful and rewarding connection with your treasured teacup Yorkie.
Other Potential Expenses to Consider
While the upfront and ongoing costs of caring for a teacup Yorkie are likely your primary concern, there are other potential expenses you should be aware of as well.
Here is a list of some additional expenses you might encounter if you decide to bring a teacup Yorkie into your home:
- Emergency Medical Costs: Due to their small size, teacup Yorkies can be more prone to mishaps or injuries. These unforeseen medical situations may require emergency veterinarian care, which can run anywhere from $1,000 to $5,000. You should set aside for these expenses, especially if you don’t have pet insurance.
- Dog Classes and Training: Teacup Yorkies can be stubborn at times and will greatly benefit from proper training and socialization. It’s important to factor in the cost of puppy training programs if your new dog needs help learning basic manners. Professional dog training can cost anywhere from $40 to $250 per session.
- Grooming Services: Teacup Yorkies have long, silky coats that should be groomed regularly to keep them looking well. Budgeting for regular grooming sessions is essential if you prefer the expertise and convenience provided by professional groomers. Sessions typically cost between $35 and $50.
- Pet Daycare: Pet daycare is a good solution if you cannot keep an eye on your teacup Yorkie. In addition to receiving loving care, your dog will also benefit from the opportunity to play with other pups and get some exercise. This will cost you around $30 to $50.
- Dog Dental Care: Small dog breeds like teacup Yorkies often experience dental issues like cavities, gum disease, and infections. To maintain optimal oral health, your dog may need dental cleanings, extractions, or other dental operations if these diseases are present. Teeth cleaning for dogs can cost anywhere from $150 to $350.
Many costs are associated with caring for a teacup Yorkie that goes beyond the initial investment in acquiring one.
If you are financially prepared, you’ll be better positioned to provide for your teacup Yorkie’s needs.
Best Places to Find Teacup Yorkie Puppies for Sale and Adoption
Once you’ve determined that you can afford a teacup Yorkie, the next step is to choose a reliable breeder that consistently produces healthy, happy pups.
To help you with this, below is a list of reputable breeders in the country that sell quality teacup Yorkie puppies:
- AKC Marketplace – Teacup Yorkies from reputable breeders can be found in the AKC Marketplace. All breeders on this platform have passed the AKC’s rigorous screening process. Moreover, each puppy listed for sale on the AKC Marketplace contains information regarding its pedigree, pictures, and medical history.
- Starlet Yorkies – This breeder in Ocala, Florida, takes great pride in providing a healthy environment for its Yorkies. They have been in the business for over 15 years. Their teacup Yorkie puppies are well-socialized and fully vaccinated. They also provide a 1-year health guarantee for pups purchased from them.
- Let’s Talk Yorkie – Let’s Talk Yorkie is committed to breeding healthy, happy dogs with the best methods possible. Their puppies are guaranteed to be healthy and come with a full medical history that details their deworming and vaccinations. They also provide assistance by responding to questions you may have about caring for a teacup Yorkie or other puppy-related issues.
You can also check out our list of reputable breeders of Yorkies to see if they have a teacup in their breeding program.
Meanwhile, here are some excellent options for rescue organizations and shelters to check out if you’d prefer to adopt a teacup Yorkie:
- Yorkie Rescue of America – Yorkie Rescue of America is a non-profit organization that aims to help abused Yorkies regain a sense of security and belonging. This organization is devoted to assisting Yorkies in hopeless situations, including some that other animal care organizations have written off.
- Yorkie911 Rescue – Yorkie911 Rescue is a charitable organization in New York that works to find new homes for rescued Yorkshire Terriers after ensuring their health and safety. They have a foster care program where all rescued dogs stay until they find permanent homes.
- Wren Yorkie Rescue – Founded in 1995, Wren Yorkie Rescue is a California-based organization dedicated to rescuing, rehabilitating, and rehoming Yorkies. They assist everyone from the elderly and disabled to single parents looking for a new furry friend. The organization comprises dedicated foster families that temporarily house rescued animals in their homes.
The process of finding teacup Yorkie pups for sale or adoption requires vigilance and awareness. Consider only working with trustworthy breeders, local Yorkie clubs, and reputable rescue groups.
Inquire about the puppies’ health records and documents, and make sure they’re being nurtured in a clean, loving environment by visiting the breeders or shelters in person.
Money-Saving Tips for Teacup Yorkie Owners
Every pet parent has the best intentions and wants to provide the best life for their dog, but that doesn’t mean they have to break the bank doing it.
Here are some ways that teacup Yorkie owners can save money:
- Groom your teacup Yorkie at home. Grooming your teacup Yorkie regularly is important for their welfare, but it can add up quickly if you take them to a professional grooming salon. Grooming your Yorkie at home is easy if you invest in high-quality grooming equipment. You’ll end up saving money in the long run by doing this.
- Buy dog supplies in bulk. When possible, stock up on food, treats, and grooming supplies in large quantities for your teacup Yorkie. You can save money in the long run by buying in bulk, as most sellers offer discounts for larger orders.
- Make your own dog toys. Teacup Yorkies may be small, but they have strong jaws. This means that toys may need to be replaced more frequently than usual. Instead of going to the pet store repeatedly to buy toys, consider making your own to save money.
- Train your teacup Yorkie at home. You can teach your dog basic obedience with the help of some online resources, books, or video tutorials. Saving money on expensive obedience classes is a nice bonus of learning how to train your teacup Yorkie independently.
These are just a few of the many options for reducing the cost of caring for a teacup Yorkie. With some creativity, you can find your own ways to save money.
Having a Teacup Yorkie represents a significant commitment, so it’s wise to go into it knowing what to expect financially.
However, if you’re set on getting a teacup Yorkie and are confident in your ability to provide for it, it’s important to remember to get it from a reputable source. You can rest assured that you’re getting a fair deal by doing so.
Although a teacup Yorkie may cost more to maintain than other dog breeds, the benefits of having one as a pet can be tremendous. You’ll find that their undying devotion and unconditional love are well worth the cost.
So, when are you going to get a teacup Yorkie? Share your opinions about the expenses of owning a teacup Yorkie in the comments section below!