Finding a good Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder has been slightly challenging over the years. Since the Rhodesian Ridgeback isn’t as well known as other dogs, there aren’t many breeders available.
The Rhodesian Ridgeback is a renaissance hound whose trademark is the ridge or stripe of backward-growing hair on its back. They are powerful and quick athletes weighing around 70 to 85 pounds.
If you’re interested in owning a Rhodesian Ridgeback and need help finding a reputable breeder, this article is perfect for you. The following sections feature the best places to purchase Rhodesian puppies.
10 Best Places to Buy Rhodesian Ridgeback Puppies
Rhodesian Ridgebacks are strong-willed, independent, and bold. Hence, they may not be suitable for novice or first-time dog owners. They must be trained and guided with firm yet positive reinforcement at a young age.
Once you’ve assessed that you can adequately care for this powerful pup, you may now select the best place to purchase one.
Listed below are some of the most reputable Rhodesian Ridgeback breeders in the country recognized by the Rhodesian Ridgeback Club of the United States (RRCUS):
1. Adili Ridgebacks – Kentucky
Adili Ridgebacks is a preservation Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder with over 50 years of breeding experience. They are also long-time members of the RRCUS.
Paramount to their breeding program is the belief that all their Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs are family members first. Therefore, they breed for temperaments and nurture them for as long as possible.
This Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder is the American Kennel Club’s (AKC) first and only Gold Level Breeder of Merit. They meet all requirements and standards and utilize every health and genetic test before breeding.
All Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies for sale can only be rehomed at around eight weeks or older. They come with their first round of vaccines, are dewormed, and are fully checked by a licensed and respected veterinarian.
Adili Ridgebacks does not take deposits until they know they have the perfect puppy for you. They carefully match personalities and expectations to ensure each dog is rehomed with the best family.
Adili Ridgebacks Breeder Information and Details:
- Website: Adili Ridgebacks
- Phone: (859) 263-4852
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Socials: Check out their Facebook page for more information.
- Special Note: Prospective buyers are encouraged to message them regarding the price and availability of their Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies.
2. Calico Ridge Kennels – California
Calico Ridge Kennels was established in 1962 and had over 200 champions and many performance-titled dogs to their credit. This Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder is consistently among the show ring winners nationwide.
Their Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies are a careful combination of the top bloodlines. They emphasize the soundness of body, type, and temperament, all with a very own style.
Over the years, Calico Ridge Kennels has earned several Register of Merit awards in both sires and dams.
Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies for sale are usually available, as well as top show prospects, obedience hopefuls, and outstanding pet stock.
All parent dogs are x-rayed and cleared of hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia. They are also tested for degenerative myelopathy and early-onset deafness.
All litters are whelped and raised within their home and undergo continuous observation. Their Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies are always socialized, fully vet-checked, and provided invaluable litter play and stimulation.
Calico Ridge Kennels Breeder Information and Details:
- Website: Calico Ridge Kennels
- Address: 4561 Todd Road, Sebastopol, CA 95472
- Phone: (707) 829-0768
- Email: email@example.com
- Special Note: All their Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies for sale must be at least eight weeks old before they can be rehomed. Prospective buyers are screened to ensure each puppy is properly matched.
3. Koda Rhodesian Ridgebacks – Colorado
Koda Rhodesian Ridgebacks strives to produce healthy and sound Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies that are great and easy to live with. The AKC recognizes them as a Breeder of Merit.
This Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder has been involved with the breed since 1999 and has won several achievements. These include best-in specialty shows, best-in-field winners, and RRCUS breeder of the year.
Koda Rhodesian Ridgebacks chooses their clients carefully. They prefer to place Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies with families they have met in person and have met their dogs in return.
They may also require a home check of the potential puppy owner to ensure the facilities are clean, safe, and suitable for a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy. They emphasize matching their dogs with the right and best family.
This Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder also requires all puppy owners to stay in touch with them throughout the puppy’s life. They also offer lifetime support for all puppy owners.
All Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies for sale must be neutered or spayed at around 12 months or later once purchased. Each puppy will be issued a limited registration making it eligible to compete in performance events.
Koda Rhodesian Ridgebacks Breeder Information and Details:
- Website: Koda Rhodesian Ridgebacks
- Address: 9640 Hardin Road, Colorado Springs, CO 80908
- Phone: (719) 960-7531
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Justice Ridge – California
Justice Ridge is a Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder who has been involved with the breed since 2004. All their Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies and adults are raised in their homes and treated as family members.
They are a proud member of the RRCUS and the Bay Area Rhodesian Ridgeback Club (BARRC).
Justice Ridge is a hands-on Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder offering lifelong commitment, support, and availability to each individual and family who purchases a dog.
All their Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies for sale go home with a health exam certificate from a licensed veterinarian. They undergo complete physical exams along with vaccinations, deworming, and microchipping.
Their puppies also come with prepaid AKC registration, which will be part of the “puppy go home bag.” All parent dogs have OFA clearances for hips, elbows, thyroid, heart, eyes, hearing, and other needed health checks.
Justice Ridge Breeder Information and Details:
- Website: Justice Ridge
- Phone: (916) 599-1490
- Email: email@example.com
- Special Note: Interested buyers and prospective families are encouraged to contact them via email regarding the prices and availability of their Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies for sale.
5. CopperRidge Ridgebacks – Arizona
CopperRidge Ridgebacks has been breeding and showing Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies and adults since 1995 and have bred over 50 AKC champions, with much more currently competing in the ring.
CopperRidge Ridgebacks was also among the first Rhodesian Ridgeback breeders to receive the AKC Breeder of Merit Award in Arizona.
This Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder is dedicated to the betterment of the breed through carefully planned methods. All their parent dogs have Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) tests done to ensure their health.
Furthermore, all their Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies for sale are exposed to various stimuli at a very young age to ensure they grow up to be confident adults with the best temperaments.
All interested buyers and prospective families are required to submit a puppy application which may be downloaded from their website. They also encourage buyers to visit their facility to learn more about their dogs.
CopperRidge Ridgebacks Breeder Information and Details:
- Website: CopperRidge Ridgebacks
- Address: 2326 E. Dolores Road, Phoenix, AZ 85086
- Phone: (602) 469-5355
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Aariel Rhodesian Ridgebacks – Florida
Aariel Rhodesian Ridgebacks is a breeder of quality Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies with the aim of improving the breed and protecting its legacy.
They are an AKC Breeder of Merit that follows the AKC Bred with H.E.A.R.T Program. They are a proud member of the RRCUS and follow their ethics policy in breeding.
This Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder produces puppies that make loving and loyal family companions. They prioritize health, temperament, ethics, and conformation.
When raising their Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies, they put their heart and soul into the process. All puppies are supplemented and socialized with different experiences to ensure they become outgoing.
The prices of their Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies for sale range from $1,800 to $3,500. Shipping and transportation fees typically cost around $450, with the option of selecting a puppy taxi or flying nanny.
Aariel Rhodesian Ridgebacks Breeder Information and Details:
- Website: Aariel Rhodesian Ridgebacks
- Address: 16441 SE 84th Terrace Summerfield, FL 34491
- Phone: (352) 552-5265
- Email: email@example.com
- Socials: Check out their Instagram page for more information.
- Special Note: Aariel Rhodesian Ridgebacks puppy prices include paid AKC registration, dew claws removal, the first round of shots, a Florida Vet Certificate, a microchip, and a puppy goodie bag.
7. MillaBella Rhodesian Ridgebacks – North Carolina
MillaBella is an AKC-accredited Rhodesian Ridgeback Breeder of Merit in Pinehurst, North Carolina. They fell in love with the breed in 2012 and have been involved in breeding ever since.
MillaBella Rhodesian Ridgebacks is a member in good standing with the RRCUS and the Moore County Kennel Club of North Carolina (MCKC).
This Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder prides itself on the versatility and soundness of all their dogs. Several of their pups are certified therapy dogs active in their community.
MillaBella Rhodesian Ridgebacks is committed to ensuring that their breeding program is designed to produce exceptional quality dogs. They also strive to exceed the breeding standards set out by the RRCUS.
All Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies for sale and in their breeding program are health tested for conditions in the hips, elbows, eyes, ears, heart, and brain.
MillaBella Rhodesian Ridgebacks Breeder Information and Details:
- Website: MillaBella Rhodesian Ridgebacks
- Phone: (910) 612-2741
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Socials: Check out their Facebook and Instagram pages for more updates and information.
8. Cynara Rhodesian Ridgebacks – Oklahoma
Cynara Rhodesian Ridgebacks is dedicated to owning and breeding the best and healthiest Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs from long-lived bloodlines. They aim to produce pups with stellar temperaments and high intelligence.
Cynara Rhodesian Ridgeback’s involvement with the breed started in 1998. Their primary goal is to breed physically and mentally healthy Rhodesian Ridgebacks that exceed the average breed lifespan of 10 years.
Their Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies for sale typically start at $2,000. Puppies go to their new homes with a collar, first vaccinations, deworming, health records, and puppy food.
Their Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies are raised within their home and are given lots of love and attention. Their pups are socialized from birth until they are rehomed at around nine weeks or older.
This Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder also pays to have a microchip inserted and registered to help owners, animal shelters, breeders, and veterinarians trace the dog if it ever gets lost or stolen.
Cynara Rhodesian Ridgebacks Breeder Information and Details:
9. Cobriza Ridgebacks – New Jersey
Cobriza Ridgebacks is a Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder who became involved with the breed over a decade ago. They are dedicated to producing quality dogs that are sound, stable, and loving.
Their Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies and adults are raised within their homes and treated as family members. All their dogs undergo health screenings and are well-socialized at a very young age.
Their Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies for sale come with an AKC limited registration and are sold with a spay or neuter contract.
This Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder offers a lifetime of support to their Ridgeback families with the highest levels of customer service and satisfaction.
Cobriza Ridgebacks takes pride in having produced several dogs that have won several competitions and awards. These include Best in Show, Fast Cat Title, and show ring finalists.
Cobriza Ridgebacks Breeder Information and Details:
- Website: Cobriza Ridgebacks
- Phone: (848) 992-0650
- Email: email@example.com
- Socials: Check out their Instagram page for more updates and information.
10. Africali Rhodesian Ridgebacks – California
Africali Rhodesian Ridgebacks is a Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder located in Northern California in the beautiful countryside of Western Sonoma County. Their dogs are all raised on their organic farm.
Africali Rhodesian Ridgeback is a member in good standing of the RRCUS, and they adhere to the RRCUS Code of Ethics.
All their Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies are raised in their home and treated as family members. They live comfortably with the family indoors and are not kenneled to ensure the best development.
This Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder raises all their dogs and puppies following natural rearing methods, and they employ the early neurological stimulation program as early as three days of age.
Their Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies and adults are fed the biologically appropriate diet, which includes a variety of raw meats, small amounts of free-choice vegetables, fresh eggs, and sprouted grain bread.
Africali Rhodesian Ridgebacks Breeder Information and Details:
- Website: Africali Rhodesian Ridgebacks
- Phone: (707) 591-4634
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Socials: Check out their Facebook page for more details and further inquiries.
- Special Note: Interested buyers are encouraged to contact them through their website or Facebook page regarding the prices and availability of their Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies for sale.
Buyers must always practice utmost caution before and during any kind of transaction. Conducting thorough research on your selected Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder and meeting them is highly recommended.
Other Sources to Find Rhodesian Ridgeback Puppies for Sale
Aside from the responsible breeders mentioned in the previous section, several other online sources also offer Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies for sale.
Since most Rhodesian Ridgeback breeders prioritize quality over quantity, litters tend to be very limited. Listed below are a few other reputable sources where you can purchase Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies:
- AKC Marketplace – The AKC Marketplace is one of the most reputable online sources that feature trusted breeders from all over the country. There are several Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy litters listed on this site. Each puppy listing features the breeder’s history and achievements along with the pup’s description and details.
- Good Dog – Good Dog is one of the most well-known and reputable networks that showcase responsible and ethical breeders. Their user-friendly interface can easily be navigated based on your location, preferences, and desired transportation mode. They usually feature hundreds of Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies for sale.
- Greenfield Puppies – Greenfield Puppies is a puppy advertising site that has found loving homes for dogs for over a decade. They feature breeders located throughout Pennsylvania and surrounding states and expect all breeders to comply with all state laws and the strict guidelines they have put in place.
Selecting a Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder located within or near your area is highly recommended. If your selected breeder is located elsewhere, buyers are encouraged to meet them personally to claim the puppy safely.
Safe shipping and transportation options are also available if buyers are unable to travel to meet their selected breeder. These typically include puppy taxis or flying nannies.
How Much Does a Rhodesian Ridgeback Cost? Puppy Prices & Expenses
Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies typically cost around $1,700 to $3,500. Their prices are usually influenced by their pedigree, physical features, and the selected breeder’s reputation and location.
Aside from the cost of a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy, owning and properly caring for one would entail several more expenses. Below is a table summarizing the typical expenses of owning a Rhodesian Ridgeback:
|Type of Expense||Cost|
|Food and Treats||$80 – $150|
|Bowls||$15 – $40|
|Toys||$30 – $100|
|Beds||$50 – $300|
|Collars and Leashes||$15 – $50|
|Crates and Carriers||$60 – $500|
|Grooming Essentials||$50 – $250|
|Initial Vet Visits||$100 – $500|
|Initial Vaccine Shots||$50 – $300|
|Deworming, Flea, and Tick Medications||$40 – $300|
|Neutering or Spaying||$50 – $500|
|Microchipping||$40 – $60|
|Dog License||$10 – $20|
|Other Essentials||$30 – $80|
|Total Initial Cost||$620 – $3,150|
Although the list may make owning a Rhodesian Ridgeback seem costly, don’t be dismayed, as most of these items are one-time expenses. These may include microchipping and a dog license.
Dog owners are also recommended to invest in durable and high-quality items that last a long time to save more money. Avoid purchasing cheap items that may break easily and harm your dog.
How Do You Find the Best Rhodesian Ridgeback Breeders in Your Area?
Other than using the online sources mentioned in the previous sections, there are other useful and practical ways to find the best Rhodesian Ridgeback breeders within or near your area.
Listed below are a few ways you can discover reputable, ethical, and responsible Rhodesian Ridgeback breeders near you:
- Ask your veterinarian for a referral. Licensed and respected veterinarians typically have connections with reputable and responsible breeders. Asking your local veterinarian for a trusted referral is one of the best ways to find a reliable Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder within your area.
- Attend a pet show. Visiting pet shows and dog events within or near your area is a good and fun way to find ethical and trusted Rhodesian Ridgeback breeders near you. Reputable breeders and several other dog fanciers are usually seen competing or attending pet shows or other similar dog events.
- Join Rhodesian Ridgeback groups and forums online. Numerous Rhodesian Ridgeback forums and online groups are often open to all for free. Interested buyers may ask other members and dog owners for reputable referrals and their experience with their selected breeder.
- Research the breeders’ reputations. Multiple Rhodesian Ridgeback breeders with impressive reputations can be found online. Despite their affiliations and achievements, interested buyers are highly recommended to conduct thorough research on their selected breeder to learn more about their breeding methods and facilities.
It is always the buyer’s full responsibility to thoroughly research their selected breeder beforehand. It is important to ensure that ethical and responsible breeding methods and facilities are used.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Find the Best Rhodesian Ridgeback Breeder?
The best Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder can meet your needs, standards, and expectations when finding a puppy. The best breeder also practices responsible and ethical breeding and containment methods.
You should also only transact with breeders listed in the RRUCUS breeder directory or registered with the AKC.
How Do You Tell If a Breeder Is a Good Breeder?
Good Rhodesian Ridgeback breeders are extremely knowledgeable about the breed and are willing to teach new owners everything they need to know to care for a dog properly.
Good breeders always prioritize their dogs’ health, safety, and overall well-being. They plan each litter carefully and do their best to ensure no health conditions or complications are passed on to the new litter.
What Questions Should You Ask a Breeder When Buying a Puppy?
Asking about the breeding methods and how the puppies were raised is important to learn more about the breeder’s background and practices. This ensures that the puppies are healthy and free of health conditions.
It is also encouraged to ask if the Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy comes with a health guarantee. This ensures that if the puppy purchased has a fatal illness early on, the breeder may refund or replace the puppy.
How Do You Know If a Dog Breeder Is Scamming You?
Online breeder and puppy scams typically feature extremely low prices that are often too good to be true. Buyers are encouraged to learn about the average price range and personally meet the selected breeder and puppies.
If the breeder refuses to meet you personally or asks you to pay in shady methods, you should turn down the transaction as it will likely be a scam.
Considering the multiple sources of Rhodesian Ridgeback breeders online, finding the best and most reputable one can be quite challenging. Selecting the most suitable breeder for you must be done carefully.
Potential buyers must always practice utmost caution when selecting breeders online. Only purchase from reputable, responsible, and ethical breeders who prioritize the health and safety of all their dogs.
If you own a Rhodesian Ridgeback, we’d love to hear about your experiences in the comments below! All questions regarding Rhodesian Ridgeback breeders and prices are also welcome.